This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

First 2 weeks of Garmin Coach 1h32min Half Marathon plan are just Easy Runs, is it normal?

I started a 12 week Half Marathon 1h32min Garmin Coach plan with Coach Greg, I did the benchmark run (5min @3'45") and I've already done 2 easy runs of 40 and 30 min. Now I have 3 more 30 min easy runs and a 80 minute easy run in the following week. Is it normal? I was expecting more variety, support videos, reads and technique exercises, but maybe it's just like this the first weeks of base training. Has anyone gone further in a similar plan?

Thank you!!

Note: I accidentally pressed the lap button in the last easy run so that I skipped the second 10 min and cool down rounds, does this affect the adaptive plan if I finish the workout as planned? 

• Has the total training time/distance increased slowly over that time as well?  Isn't the training plan displayed on the calendar on Garmin Connect?  I have never used a plan (I make my own, tricky when run and biking to use a precanned plan), but depending on where you started out in your training/fitness/experience... a good month or two of building up a base mileage makes some sense... although some moderate workouts would be helpful (cruise intervals at threshold pace, easy wiith strides, a small block of hill sprints, etc)

• I'm on week 7 with no variation in workout type.  All easy runs with one long easy run per week.

• Hi,

On week 7 and still easy runs. ONLY easy runs and one long run per week. Should I change plan ?

• What did the trick for me was changing the nr of training days/week. That somehow triggered a reset of the algorithm

• yes, there is something wrong with the their plans.  Unless you are on some 9month training plan for a half and/or it is a 'couch to 13.1' plan... there should be at least some starter workouts after a few weeks... after a couple month?!?!   Their Coaching plan is really a dis-service to users who are loosing time if planning to train for a race.  Although 80-90% of training benefits can come from running easy...  after multiple months of running easy, unless you are running super high volume (6 days a week, 6+ hours)... at some point it will be more a beneift to go to a typical Hard/Easy/Hard/Easy rotation of runs.  

Just something as simple as a good block of strides on an easy run (20-40sec accelrate to near full sprint, 1-2min jog... repeated 4-10 times) or a few 5-10min blocks of running medium hard.   or a steady medium hard for 15-25minutes.   

Eventually then stepping into maybe some vo2max intervals (2-4min at faster then 5k pace to near 1mi race pace with equal jog recovery, repeated 3-5x) and sustained 20-30min medium hard intervals (50-60min Race pace effort).