This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

First 2 weeks of Garmin Coach 1h32min Half Marathon plan are just Easy Runs, is it normal?

I started a 12 week Half Marathon 1h32min Garmin Coach plan with Coach Greg, I did the benchmark run (5min @3'45") and I've already done 2 easy runs of 40 and 30 min. Now I have 3 more 30 min easy runs and a 80 minute easy run in the following week. Is it normal? I was expecting more variety, support videos, reads and technique exercises, but maybe it's just like this the first weeks of base training. Has anyone gone further in a similar plan?

Thank you!!

Note: I accidentally pressed the lap button in the last easy run so that I skipped the second 10 min and cool down rounds, does this affect the adaptive plan if I finish the workout as planned? 

• Most probably the first few weeks are for building your aerobic base and the plan doesn't really consider your running background. My opinion - the plan is just a guideline, so if you feel that the volume is too low you could add a few minutes here and there ;-). Good luck with your 1:30 ;-)

• I am doing the same plan but the 15 wk version. The first week was all easy runs. In week 2 there was one speed repeats and one progression run. In week 3  there was a goal pace run and s stride repeats workout. In week 4 there is speed repeats and stride repeats but no long run in week 4. That is as far as I have gotten with the plan. 

• Mine doesn't make sense... Any suggestions what to do? 

First week: Benchmark, 40 min easy, 30 min easy, 30 min easy, 80 min easy

Second week: 30 min easy x3, 50 min easy

• if you don't like garmins ones, get one from trainingpeaks ;-) - they are well documented and you can choose from a wide range...

• Stick with it - it'll get much harder and more variety - I'm on week 7 and I get a couple of easy runs a week and then a combination of fast finish, progression, speed repeats, stride repeats and tempo - it's certainly not an easy plan! 

• forgot to say that the most annoying thing for me is that if you do a run that isn't on the plan (but still recorded) the plan doesn't include that run as done within the plan - and also rescheduling is a bit of a nightmare - it gets confused sometimes and I end up with 6 rather than 5 runs on my plan for that week! 

• I agree. Also, once a workout was not showing in my watch calendar, I did the next one since it was the same and eventually it was not registered any day in Garmin Coach.

• I recently finished Coach Greg's 10k plan and the first two weeks were mostly easy runs and one stride repeats a week.  I think the first couple of weeks it is just getting to know you.  Then the plan starts adding in other workouts like speed repeats and goal pace repeats.  You can't see ahead more than the coming week because it is performance based.  If you skip a workout one day and you didn't reschedule THAT DAY it is gone.  If you're going to reschedule you have to reschedule before midnight on that same day.  I find it very easy to reschedule, either on my phone or on the computer.  I've never had any issues with that.

• Did YOU manage your goal time? What’s your overall opinion of the plan? I normally do a combination of tempo, speed and long easy run each week and was looking forward to some variety. Does it get anywhere near dangerous to making you injured? Strava plans are like that.

• Haha, I did the exact same thing with the lap button skipping the second 10 min and cooldown! I didn’t think the instructions were very clear on what to do.