This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Deep sleep accuracy?

I am curious to hear what other people's experience is with Deep Sleep stats.  According to my 945, I get about 10-15 mins of Deep Sleep a night.  First, I do not know if this is normal for the average person.  Second, is the 945 sleep stats accurate?

• Good morning,

There are several forums on the subject of sleep, it seems that Garmin is not concerned with sorting this out, the moderators don't even respond anymore. I'm not even talking about the stages, but about the precision of sleep time. A shame, it had a polar grit x and it was very good.

• Garmin is not interested in making their products better/more useful. They are only interested in keeping the longest feature list in the market. They know a long feature list sells watches.

• There is no point in having several resources or improving existing ones. How will you get a recovery metric if sleep doesn't work right. These data are linked directly.

1. I have a Garmin also, and it states I get zero deep sleep EVERY night! It records REM and Light sleep and wakeful periods but no deep sleep at all.
  • With the new 7.20 it looks like Garmin finally ditched its proprietary sleep algorithm and returned to the metrics provided by Firstbeat which is excellent news! My observations are that sleep tracking greatly improved with this update and now match pretty well what I see with my Oura ring. They are remarkable close regarding sleep stages showing a clear correlation. Before it was a total mess, basically the results from Garmin were useless.

Have you made a similar observation with the new 7.20 sleep tracking?

• I too am disturbed with my deep sleep results from my harming watch. When I feel like I have had a good nights sleep I show as little as 29 minutes of deep sleep. According to studies we should be getting 20% deep sleep minutes of total minutes slept. On the other hand my wife’s garmin has her sleeping well over an hour per night. We are somewhat competitive and this irks me to no end. 

• I'm not sure how anyone knows from their wearable when the correct period of deep sleep is. which device is correct? how can you tell if you are asleep? so you are comparing apples to pears when you want to talk about oranges.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Polysomnography

• Actually I "felt" the sleep-phases to be more accurate before the update to 7.20. With new firmware I get almost no REM phases (0-5 minutes) and low durations of DEEP sleep-phases reported, although I did not change behavior.

• I don't mind it not showing a lot of deep sleep recorded, it's more annoying when it records you have been awake for 60-70 mins in the middle of the night. Pretty sure I would know I was awake for an hour at 2am. 

• My deep sleep numbers vary dramatically, from the low double digits to, more usual, around an hour. One night recently it claimed over two hours. Where I find sleep tracking fails is differentiating between awake and light sleep, which is tough, admittedly. I'm 66 years old.