This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Deep sleep accuracy?

I am curious to hear what other people's experience is with Deep Sleep stats.  According to my 945, I get about 10-15 mins of Deep Sleep a night.  First, I do not know if this is normal for the average person.  Second, is the 945 sleep stats accurate?

• I always have an absence of deep sleep (or at most a few minutes), I do however have Alzeimers and some research suggests there is a correlation between Alzeimers and an absence of deep sleep. 

I'm not of course suggesting you may have Alzeimers, but I've always assumed my 945 was simply reflecting my condition rather than the algorithms for sleep analysis being wrong.

• Unfortunately the whole sleep tracking with Garmin is fairly inaccurate. Sleep stages are only based on movement it seems and do not incorporate any advanced data like HRV or HR (at least not properly).

When comparing Garmin's sleep stages with that from my Oura ring (which I consider extremely accurate), there are huge differences, e.g. Garmin putting me into light sleep where I actualy was awake and deep sleep when I definetely was not.

So I guess, you cannot really trust any of the Garmin's sleep metrics if you are looking for accuracy.

• Garmin have published some results of their sleep tracking which suggests it's not too bad www.garmin.com/.../

• I have an Oura ring, which measures HRV and body temp, and it's still not great at differentiating deep vs REM.

• I'm trying my fenix 5 again, deep sleep is nonexistent on 945 as it seems. Last night i had 1 minute. I usually got about 30-60 min.

• I just got  the FR945 and I was surprised that it only shows anywhere between 15-20 minutes of deep sleep - if it shoes any at all. With my Fitibit Ionic, I was seeing 45 to 60min - which was considered average for my age (based on the Fitbit model, not any scientific study). . 

• My deep sleeps are showing up (usually between 1-3 cycles) in the earlier part of the night (which is how it should be) to a total between 1-1.5 hours varying wildly from night to night.

What it can't correctly seem to figure out is the start date for sleep. If I'm laying in the bed half an hour before the set sleeptime, it shows it as light sleep intermixed with wake periods. I usually disregard this section.

It would be nice if the sleep stats would have an overlay for the HRV data (in this case that's what's needed because heart rate (bpm) is fairly constant throughout the sleep).

• I have a Fitbit Ionic as well and I must admit... the 945 really doesn't compare. I think Fitbit is vastly more accurate... but that goes with the territory of being a "lifestyle watch" I suppose.

Garmin works good for training and RHR, the sleep tracking thing is a trend they appear to have picked up only recently.

• My problem with this watch and the sleep tracking is not with the Deep Sleep but with the REM. It is detecting REM when i'm awake. Last night i have 2h 42m of REM. 

In the 2 years i use fitbit charge 2 my REM time was on avg 40 min

• The only deep sleep I get registered is when I lie still and listen to my audio book, before I actually fall asleep...