This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OHR vs HRM-RUN during running: *used to be* amazing (for me)

I did the same comparison between OHR and HRM-Run as I did on the thread "OHR vs HRM-RUN: completely useless (for me)", only during a running activity.

There's not much to say - the results are quite amazing. Except for several glitches, the OHR does an amazing job. It also picked up changes in HR very well, including the one fast km I did towards the end, and including the recovery from it. Well done OHR (during running)

A little number analysis about the % of gap between OHR and HRM-Run HR:

• Super accurate (less than 3% gap): 92.0% of the time
  • Acceptable (between 3% and 10% gap): 6.5% of the time
  • Not accurate (between 10% and 30% gap): 1.4% of the time
  • Very inaccurate (between 30% and 50% gap): 0%
  • Ridiculously inaccurate (more than 50% gap): 0%  
  • thank you!  I will give it a try.  I appreciate your spelling it all out step by step and with a link.

•  No problem. I wrote specific instructions for the last two steps here. Like I said, I can do them for you if you need.

• I had exactly the same problem with my 935 before I sent it back.  The OHR was very accurate in Running mode and for easy runs but not accurate at all in day-to-day wearing.  I would regularly notice the the OHR cadence-lock during walking to the office but if I were to turn on the Running activity a moment later, there would be no cadence-lock and the OHR result would be perfect.

The only explanation I was given by DCR was that Garmin employs low-power algorithms for day-to-day use that don't filter as well accelerometer data but high-power versions that work much better during running.  I personally could not trust the results and it was one of the reasons I sent back the 935.

• Do you know if the dcrainmaker  analyser tool can pull out 2 HR readings in the same FIT file?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/analyzer

• I tried that. The secondary HR will show up in a separate graph under Developer Fields in the DCR analyzer. This makes it difficult to compare. 

• It's been a while since this test, and I usually run with an HRM Strap, but on my last vacation, I didn't take the strap with me, thinking the OHR is good enough for a few runs.

Since I only ran this OHR vs HRM-Run test 2-3 times, I can't tell for sure, but I want to believe the OHR did perform very well inside an activity back then and that now some software update ruined it.

On these three runs, HR started quite plausible, but then after about 8-15 minutes just shot up and stabilized between 180 and 190bpm. These are rather easy run when my HR usually hovers around 125-140bpm at the current fitness level.

I believe I can't say anymore that the OHR does a good job inside activities (for me).