This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OHR vs HRM-RUN during running: *used to be* amazing (for me)

I did the same comparison between OHR and HRM-Run as I did on the thread "OHR vs HRM-RUN: completely useless (for me)", only during a running activity.

There's not much to say - the results are quite amazing. Except for several glitches, the OHR does an amazing job. It also picked up changes in HR very well, including the one fast km I did towards the end, and including the recovery from it. Well done OHR (during running)

A little number analysis about the % of gap between OHR and HRM-Run HR:

• Super accurate (less than 3% gap): 92.0% of the time
  • Acceptable (between 3% and 10% gap): 6.5% of the time
  • Not accurate (between 10% and 30% gap): 1.4% of the time
  • Very inaccurate (between 30% and 50% gap): 0%
  • Ridiculously inaccurate (more than 50% gap): 0%  
  • There's no doubt that WHR is getting better with these new watches. Each time I compare with a chest strap I also see fewer differences. However, just as I think I should ditch the chest strap I get a series of bad ones. It's close, but not quite close enough. But I don't think we're far away as long as the consistency improves. This from a run today 

looks good.

But this from a 2.5 hr bike ride with two on WHR and one on chest strap is bit messy

• I find OHR accurate in day to day wearing and steady long or tempo runs and road bike. It is less accurate for me on running intervals (little laggy) and mostly not accurate on gravel biking (which is understandable, a lot of movment of watch on wrist due to lack of suspension on bike). 

• WHR is working really good for me in the summer. My experience with the 935 was similar in warm conditions and as soon temperature dropped below 10 degrees C and especially with chilly wind, results were not usable anymore.

• Still for runs and rides i use scoshe rythm which i was using with my epix. So no problem @winter for me. 

• Yes, heard the same from Polar OH1. 

Interesting but I now stick the entire year with HRM Run and it is ok for me as I get the running metrics for free. Not that I am too sure to what benefit ;-)

• How do you record with both on the same activity?  I'd like to try this to compare.

• :

1. Follow the instructions here in order to install the Auxiliary Heart Rate ConnectIQ App on your 945
    2. Turn off the HRM-Run under "Sensors & Accessories" so that the watch doesn't connect to it
    3. Add the Auxiliary Heart Rate CIQ data field alongside the regular heart rate field. The Auxiliary Heart Rate field should detect the closest HR sensor next to it (as long as you did #2)
    4. During the run/ride, both heart rate measurements will be recorded to your activity
    5. Convert your FIT file to CSV using this tool
    6. Now I did some cleaning up to leave only sections with TYPE=0 or TYPE=6, and used some UNIX 'grep' and 'cut' in order to leave just a single field for 'timestamp', 'heart_rate' (OHR), and 'currHeartRate' (HRM-Run)
    7. Paste these as three different columns in Excel and plot a graph

If you need help in the last 2-3 steps I can do them for you.

• It worked for me to set the measuring interval from Garmin-intelligent to every second. I basically get the same readings as with a Polar strap on a V800 (without monitoring an activity). The small differences of 1-3 beats can be attributed to different integration times. Actually, it is amazing what the optical sensor does...

• I ditched the HRM belt after severe abrasions on the body on month with many hours of run (i needed steroids for fast healing) .From time to time I still run with HRM, but for daily training I prefer ohr and scosche.

• Yes, understand. Also had such issues, though not as strong as yours. 

Good to have the OHRs as an alternative.