This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR945 Crash/restart when saving activity

Yesterday I participated in a relay trail race and for leg 2 of 3 my forerunner crashed when trying to save the activity and restarted.  After restart the activity was not available on the watch. I have connected the watch to my laptop and there is not a FIT file on the watch.  I was looking in GARMIN > Activity for the file.  My other legs of the race are saved in that folder, so I think I'm looking in the right place.

Anything else I can do to retreive my missing race data?  And how do I prevent this from happening again in the future?

• No argument with me there. I choose not too. I seem to have fewer problems. Not necessarily cause and effect but sufficient for me to be somewhat reticent.

I've have always suggested that the first step in troubleshooting is to remove CIQ apps and watch faces, just seems that's a good place to start - go back to basics then build up from there -  simply a process of elimination in an effort to locate the problem. That's not the same thing as pointing the finger directly at CIQ as causing the problem.

Granted it's not always anything to do with CIQ apps or watch faces - and this appears to be a case in point.

With the limited functionality a CIQ developer can use, it is pretty astonishing for me as a software developer that the sandbox runtime environment of Garmin allows for system crashes.

And yet it happens. 

• I had exactly this after the Manchester half marathon on Sunday.

Sea level-ish, did a half marathon as a normal Run activity, hit stop as I ran over the line, then a few seconds later hit Save.

Watch just hung on “saving” forever.

I rebooted, and couldn’t see any evidence of the run on my watch, I was gutted as it was an all time PB!

However, when I got home and synced with my phone, it showed up in Garmin Connect. Result!

I noticed however that despite wearing my hrm-run, the activity has no running dynamics, but it does have heart rate.

• So, what I'm hearing here is that Garmin are still clueless about what the problem is?  That's not exactly encouraging.

• @TMK17 Not sure what happened to my other post about this. I did try it, setting the altimeter to 6000m. Didn't have any problems. I PM'd Garmin-Blake to let him know that I was of absolutely no use in the troubleshooting, other than it worked for me. I did try on several activities too.

They are working on it. It appears to be a little bit of a challenge though.

• Yesterday, I had a race at altitude. My trick of selecting resume later and then restarting the watch didn't do the trick. Tried about 10 times and it continually reset. I had to resume later, recalibrate altitude to sea level and then save for it to take.

• Hullo, is there a reason this conversation has been marked as answered? I understand the issue has apparently been escalated on Garmin's side, but I don't think marking it as 'answered' is right as my watch / others by the looks of things is still coming up with the same errors. I guess I'm Just trying to understand the process from having an issue identified to it being fixed and the conversations being marked complete from the fix? Thanks 

• I just rejected the "answer." Did that change the status? I'm viewing on my phone so it's not clear.

• Great, it seems to have and now it's sitting back up in 1st place / 3rd under the Garmin official postings. 

• Another +1 to this thread. Starting happening about a couple weeks ago. Endless reboot on save after activity. Happens at lower altitudes and higher ones. Tried removing all activity files but that didn’t seem to help. Also, last night when it happened when the watch came back, the activity has cut off the last minute of moving time. I would run for another minute, but save, the reboot happens, but then the watch would have the activity and it would be back at a minute earlier like I had never ran for that extra minute. I tried the resume later trick but that didn’t work even after a couple times. I just hit save about 15 times and it finally took. Weirdly enough on Strava the extra bits I ran showed up, but not on Garmin Connect. Gonna try a factory reset today and see if that helps. Nice $600 dollar watch...