This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR945 Crash/restart when saving activity

Yesterday I participated in a relay trail race and for leg 2 of 3 my forerunner crashed when trying to save the activity and restarted.  After restart the activity was not available on the watch. I have connected the watch to my laptop and there is not a FIT file on the watch.  I was looking in GARMIN > Activity for the file.  My other legs of the race are saved in that folder, so I think I'm looking in the right place.

Anything else I can do to retreive my missing race data?  And how do I prevent this from happening again in the future?

• also making me think twice about upgrading....

• Same problem for snowboarding and hiking activities on high altitude with my Forerunner 945. Saving was ok once I was down. Hope this will get fixed soon. 

• Here's the response I received from Garmin:

Sounds like you may have a corrupt file on the device. We will need to delete some files off of the device.

If you have access to a Windows computer:

• Connect the device to the computer
    • Located the drive folder (it should show up in the same spot as a USB stick)
    • Locate the Garmin folder
    • Under the Garmin folder, locate the, ACTIVITY, SETTINGS, REMOTESW, NEW FILES and MONITOR folders
    • Be sure your Garmin Connect account is up to date with your last activity as this will delete the data on the device.
    • We will want to delete those five folders (the entire folder not just the stuff inside).
    • Empty the trashcan/recycling bin on the desktop
    • Unplug the device
    • Power off the device
    • Power it back on

If you only have a Mac: On the watch, go to Settings > System > Reset > Delete data and reset settings. Be sure you have synced everything before doing so as this will delete anything that has not synced over yet.

If you still see issues after that, let us know and we can go from there.

• If you have a Mac you can use Android File transfer to access the same folders and delete the same files.

But first, if you have problems after an update and you have CIQ stuff on your watch, remove it. Then see if the problem occurs. CIQ apps and watch faces are not always updated at the same time as the software release. 

That's why I always think twice before adding anything that is not native to the watch.

• @Pilipshambrook

I think you're right. But if the IQ apps can corrupt sufficiently to lose race data, that makes the IQ system totally worthless to me. 

• @Pilipshambrook

I think you're right. But if the IQ apps can corrupt sufficiently to lose race data, that makes the IQ system totally worthless to me. 

• I do not think it has anything to do with files corrupted by the IQ apps, since it happened to many of us and I did not change or erase anything and when back from altitude, the problem went away.

• I have never had faith in them. Period. I’m sure there’s some worthwhile apps and watch faces in there developed by some good people. But I am not prepared to take the chance. Garmin supply a product that works out of the box and does what I want it to do without me feeling the need to add anything to it. 

• Garmin supply a product that works out of the box and does what I want it to do without me feeling the need to add anything to it. 

Other users did buy their Garmin watch because it is capable to be extended through data fields, apps and watch faces.

With the limited functionality a CIQ developer can use, it is pretty astonishing for me as a software developer that the sandbox runtime environment of Garmin allows for system crashes.

• Where is actually the statement that this issue is related to CIQ?

There are people without any CIQ who encounter those restarts, then there are those with CIQs who don't have any problem with restarts (like me).

Who actually came up with this CIQ thing? From reading the different thread that deal with this issue the word "altitude" is used quite often.