This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Crash when saving walk or hike activities.

Hi. Don't know if this is related to upgrade to last 2.50 because I never have had the opportunity to save a walk or hike activity, but during my last holiday in the alps I made some trekking of about 5 8 hours each and when I eventually tried to save the activity the watch always crashed and restarted and the only way to save the activity, I mean kind of fix, was to change sport before saving, example, from hike to walk or the other way round. I'm sure this is some sort of bug with this firmware or even previous ones. Anyone? 

Thx

Andrea 

• Hullo. I've had this same issue since I've had my Forerunner 945 (mainly skiing/snowboarding activities) and I've since installed 3.08beta. 3.08 version has helped with saving it seems, but it still crashes and restarts at altitude  Also seems a very similar situation to the thread in the link 

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/171051/fr945-crash-restart-when-saving-activity 

I've asked product support about it, they've asked me to send some files to them and am yet to hear back. 

• It's also the same issue as discussed in a lot more detail here: forums.garmin.com/.../marq-expedition-keeps-restarting-on-higher-altitudes

It seems to be altitude related, ie if you start or end an activity above 1000m, then it will crash. I'm currently above 1000m and tomorrow doing a hike and here's a hack I found to make it work:

1. Manually calibrate your altitude to be below 1000m

2. Immediately start the activity

3. Once activity is running go back into settings and recalibrate altitude using GPS

4. Do your hike. When finished but before saving it (I did it while still in activity before we pausing/stopping it), go into settings and manually set altitude to below 1000m again

5. Quickly go back into activity, stop and save it

This sequence allowed me to do an activity and save it without crashing at an altitude above 1000m. 

Until a proper fix is issued by Garmin I found this workaround to do the trick... Good luck! 

Laurynas

• I hope that Garmin is able to find a device that allows them to reproduce it.

What makes it strange (and thus probably not just a buffer-overflow or another simple programming-error) is that the described procedure doesn't crash the watch for every 945.

Yesterday evening I also tried the described reproduce-procedure it and it did not reboot and everything worked as expected. So maybe a kind of a diagnostic-collector patch sent out to those of you who have this problem could be an option.

Or they could give you a new device and take your old one to test it...

• that's a bit tricky but if it works that's fine! I hope someone of garmin guys out there will read this and try to find a fix for that...I only need to test it on myself...