This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Repeated reboots while saving an activity

I upgraded to 2.70 and since then my two hiking activities are rebooting the watch during the activity saving. After the watch restarts the activity is loaded back. I save it and it reboots again. That repeats multiple times until it finally succeeds (5-10 attempts). Probably related to elevation but it is just a guess. My two running activities saved fine on first attempt.

Any idea what is going on? Bug?

T.

• I've downloaded 3.08 Beta and there is an improvement but not a total fix. On version 2.80 it would crash when trying to save the activity anywhere from 5-10 times and then also during an activity I had repeated reboots. With 3.08 it only did it once during an activity, but it didn't do it at all when saving the activity. 

• Blake, thanks for the update. When the fix is ready, please also post to this Marq thread and announce to Fenix 6 owners like me (no thread on this there yet).
    forums.garmin.com/.../944507

• Hi, This same issue happened to me on my first FR945 so I returned it - thought I had a bad watch. I bought a 2nd FR945, and after 3 weeks the problem has repeated. I did a 32 mile cycle from approx. 5000 ft up to 6900 ft & back. I tried to save the biking activity & the watch kept resetting.

The "workaround" I found to get out of this bad state was to connect the watch with a cable to Garmin Connect on a PC & sync. I have also emailed Garmin support & am waiting for a response. 

Thanks, Vince

• I suggest connecting a usb cable from your watch to your PC & open Garmin Express. When I hit sync, my data was saved & watch was ok after that. This temporary "work-around" worked for me so maybe it may help to save your valuable data. Thanks, Vince

• Had it happen to me too on a virtually brand new 945 unit two days ago. Running the latest 2.8 software and is a Rev C unit (on the box).

Had done around ten running and cycling activities at sea level over 8-9 days without any issues, then the first time I returned home at did a cycling activity at 1,000m altitude, I hit the bug.

Tried so many times to save it (but gave up and deleted the activity before attempting ten attempts the way some here have successfully done). Maybe I should have tried harder...

Seems crazy that Garmin haven't been able to reproduce this over the course of 2 months. Bit sick of having to be a beta tester for Garmin for what is otherwise a great bit of kit.

I have noticed that the altimeter is much more accurate then my current 935 - but it seems ironic that we are paying the price of that altimeter accuracy with this sort of bug.

Please fix Garmin!

Thanks.

• Former Member any update on this yet? I called a few weeks ago and the tech didnt seem to know anything of it...they had me factory reset the watch, but still having the issue here and there, yesterday was a 2.5 hour fit test indoors. 

• ME TOO!!!!  This is the second time my 945 is doing this.  Garmin has no response.  Both times for me were runs and both runs flashed some message about the activity being some new high threshold but right after that went to Save/Discard menu.  Save always causes reboot and back to save.  I do not want to discard as I need that data.  The first time this happened I discarded and all was lost.  I had two runs since then that worked fine.  Now another run with a new high threshold followed by inability to save the activity.

This is very frustrating.  I also had recent issues where the GPS and altimeter either did not work or were very inaccurate while in Thailand and Bhutan where I really wanted to see my hike data.

I am so disappointment in Garmin.  This 945 has been a very bad experience so far

• I've been having this issue off and on while saving various activities. I live at 4200', but I have also had it at sea level (though less often). My workaround is to restart the watch after or before every activity. Since I started doing this, I have not had a restart when saving an activity.

As an aside, the one time I was able to make the watch lock up prior to a restart was by activating the 'Performance Condition' screen and scrolling to it during a longer (80 mile) ride with around 6K of climbing. It makes me wonder if there is an issue with the performance condition canculations going on in the background causing issues?

In any case, I hope they get this fixed ASAP.

• Former Member any chance this was one of the bug fixes in 3.3?

• Users have reported a couple of symptoms that are similar, but no identical. This latest updates addresses the issue of activities freezing on the summary page, but we would like to hear feedback from users who were also seeing crashes/reboots to see if they are still experiencing it with 3.30.