This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Repeated reboots while saving an activity

I upgraded to 2.70 and since then my two hiking activities are rebooting the watch during the activity saving. After the watch restarts the activity is loaded back. I save it and it reboots again. That repeats multiple times until it finally succeeds (5-10 attempts). Probably related to elevation but it is just a guess. My two running activities saved fine on first attempt.

Any idea what is going on? Bug?

T.

• 17 days since your post. Any updates on this issue?

I'm also experiencing this problem with 2.8. Multiple reboots when trying to save a run. Finally saves but without advanced metrics.

• Mine is now to a point that every activity saving reboots the watch. 

I discovered that if it's charging it just reboots one time. 2nd attempt while charging it saves the activity. 

It may suits you. Try if it works for you. Not a solution but may save the day. Hope Garmin solves this one quickly

• This is happening to me right now, just completed a mountain race as trail running activity and can't save it. Garmin, you've known about this bug for two months now and haven't fixed it. I've tried saving now 10+ times and it just reboots so seems I have no choice but to lose the activity? If I do then I'll be returning the watch to the retailer as not fit for primary purpose of recording running activities 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Another update.... I can also confirm the issue seems directly related to altitude and not necessarily lots of elevation change.  I've used my 945 in Louisville, Kentucky and on several Hawaiian Islands over the past two weeks and I had no issues saving after swimming or running, even with lots of elevation gain.  In between trips I used it in Boulder and it wouldn't save correctly.

I'm ready to go back to the 935 or switch to the Apple Watch.

• We have found a couple of internal folks who can reproduce this and have brought in devices from users experiencing this as well. We are actively working on the fix that will roll out to users but are still making sure it resolves it for the different scenarios that caused this freezing. 

• I know this is not the the ideal fix, but last week after having the same issue after a hike at 7,000 feet elevation, I kept the hike activity in “resume later” status and was able to save it when I was at 1,000 feet.  You can’t start a new activity during that time, but at least you can eventually save your event (unless you live at higher elevation, I guess).

If you didn’t see it, Garmin posted today that they think they have a fix, but are verifying that it works for all different freezing issues before sending it out.

• Thanks for the update Blake,

In testing can you please make sure the troubleshooters also see, not only the freezing/restarting, but that if/when it does save it is missing all or some of the following (for hiking and I'm assuming others):

Body Battery, HR, Training Load/Status, Stress. Just blanks pretty much outside the activity.

Some metrics like HR are properly recorded in the activity, but a blank in the daily log or anywhere outside that activity.

Not sure if this a symptom of the restart, or a separate but related problem.

• This reboot on save behavior is really frustrating on a new FR945.  Does Garmin suggest continuing to try saving until success as the work around or should the watch we exchanged for one without the problem.

• Hi. When I am at high altitude I fix it by setting the altimeter to a lower level, e.g. 300 m above sea level. The watch then works fine and the sessions get recorded as usual. No problem with saving. Just be careful over time the watch will sync the GPS again and set the altimeter to a higher level again so you probably have to adjust manually before ever run. 

• Hi.
    Saturday I ran a trail in Courmayuer with start at 1200 meters above sea level and highest point at 2500.
    To save the activity I simply chose "resume after" and then I changed the activity from trail running to running. I had tried to save first about ten times without success.