This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Repeated reboots while saving an activity

I upgraded to 2.70 and since then my two hiking activities are rebooting the watch during the activity saving. After the watch restarts the activity is loaded back. I save it and it reboots again. That repeats multiple times until it finally succeeds (5-10 attempts). Probably related to elevation but it is just a guess. My two running activities saved fine on first attempt.

Any idea what is going on? Bug?

T.

• Garmin please fix this. Still an issue on 2.80.

Very frustrating completely lost a long hike yesterday that I wanted to use the GPS distances for future planning.

Trying to play around and force it to save completely corrupted the fit file beyond repair.

• 2.80 fixed this issue for me for my last two runs.

• Have you tried a hard reset (holding power button for up to 15 seconds) since updating? This shouldn't normally be necessary but we would like to try it. If that does not resolve the issue we will need to escalate this further with the latest update. 

• I will try it next time.

I definitely power cycled after updating, but I can't recall if it was just the on screen power control, or 15 second hold.

I did do a hard reset after the hike and putting the activity in 'Resume Later' mode after attempts of failed saves and restarts. After, it still showed the activity, but wouldn't save. 

Eventually I tried to resume activity, at which point everything froze and it gave a corrupted file. Maybe a separate issue or to do with all of the power cycling and saving attempts.

• Same here. Can't save, can't discard, basically can't use the watch for activities until the save finally takes.

Some info that may help troubleshoot: I haven't had any issue with treadmill, pool swim or bike indoor activities. I had issues with bike and multisport. After about three save tries I turn the watch off for 30-60 minutes. The next try after turning it back on always works. My outdoor activities are all at 5-6k feet elevation (but it wouldn't surprise me if elevation is a red herring). 

• Blake can you please get this fixed or tell me what to do to get it fixed.

Hiking is still freaking out.
    I hard restarted like you suggested. Several days this week I worked outdoors 5-7 hours recorded and tested as hiking, I paused, resumed later, messed with settings, to experiment and it saved just fine. Problem fixed! Or not.
    When I actually went in the mountains for a hike the constant restarting upon saving occurred. The only differences that I can think of is distance traveled, increased HR/intensity,  elevation change, starting elevation, and cell phone signal.
    Just as much an issue, likely related. Additionally, heart rate, body battery are blanks in my daily chart. Activity reports zero training effect despite extended sections in higher HR zones, training load. This may be part of the issue? 
    Basically I got it to save after many attempts, but it logged nothing useful, now my watch is yelling at me that I have no low intensity work, and my load is down. Pretty frustrating when you have a plan to meet your targets.
    I get small training load and training effect for something like walking to loosen up when I'm recovering the day after an intense run. So I assume hiking for hours should have some training load and status.
  • We are working to resolve this issue as quick as we can. It is happening to some devices and not others, and is inconsistently occurring across various apps. We believe we have enough information to diagnose and resolve this but may reach out to some of you for more information if necessary. 

I apologize for not having a firm timeline but this has been given the highest priority and I hope to have good news very soon. Thank you all for your patience in the meantime. 

• Thank you for this followup.  Can you also say whether the reboots at *start* at altitude were also addressed or are being considered for this fix?

I haven't been back at Altitude since late August so I can't confirm if any of the FW updates since then addressed it.

• I have also been having this issue with saving actives. I have the latest software, but this mysteriously started at 8,800 ft. Altitude. Many attempts to save, and eventually it will stop trying to restart, and I can upload activity and start another one. What a pain. 

• Same here.

Also, the training effect for that activity got lost.