This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

2.64 Beta Feedback Related to OHR Performance Only

We wanted to create a dedicated thread for users to provide feedback on their OHR experiences while running the latest 2.64 beta. We are looking for feedback in this thread that is very specific to this and would like to direct any feedback not related to OHR performance to our previous thread here

Any feedback on your experience while using OHR during Runs, Bike rides, and Swimming, with an emphasis on accuracy would be greatly appreciated. 

• Seems good to me. I usually use an HRM-Tri for OWS and running. I have a small sample size of swims now with just the wrist OHR and it is a little more variable than the chest strap, but generally is reporting the same average number and is reacting properly to changes in pace or stops. I also had a relay race this past weekend where I used the chest strap for the first two legs and then misplaced it in our tiny minivan so I ran my last leg on the OHR. The run on the OHR did not have any odd excursions or read outside what I felt was reasonable.  

• After installing beta, my OHR has became highly unstable both in my commute bike rides and easy runs. HR reading seems to get stuck much higher (e.g. @ 130-140 level vs. actual 110-120 bpm level). Sometimes it's right from the start, sometimes some 10 minutes into activity. The only way out is turning HR sensor off / on for several times. When OHR is erratic (in the middle of the activity) and I'm standing still with HR around 60-70 bpm, the reading on the watch often is jumping from ~70 to 90+, then to ~70 again and then to 90+ etc. I can share FIT files of the activities if necessary.

• I installed 2.64 beta the day I received the watch, about 2 weeks ago. Daily walking at work, home, sleep, all seem to display a reasonable heart rate. I’ve always had the HRM-Tri on when doing any high effort activity until I went hiking last weekend for 10 miles, with effort that should have brought by heart rate up into the 160-170 range on a couple of the hill climbs. According to the data, my heart rate never got out of “warmup”, less than 134 bpm the entire hike. Averaged 108 bpm, can’t be.

I can share the fit file if that would help.

• I have issues with the 945 OHR and using hiking poles. Heart rate is often (but not always) much lower than it should be. I've had 50bpm heart rates displayed when it should be 100+bpm heart rates, for long periods. It appears the OHR is locking onto the cadence of my hiking poles. If i stop and give it 5 or 10 mins then it normally sorts it's self out. I never saw this behaviour with the 935. 

• Well it is not scientific in my case as I did not compare it at the same time with HRM but I compare to winter running workouts that I always do with HRM-Run. In my case the OHR in 2.64 seems to have too low readings for any short term spike in activity, e,g, hill sprints or short sprints (100m or 30sec). In longer activities it seems ok but still I sometime get surprising results such as my HR going down at the end of 20km steady pace run while it should be the opposite due to fatigue. 

All in all the OHR remains rather unreliable and more of directional than true readings. This is a pity given that this results in training metrics getting all confused.

I believe my 735XT readings while not spot on were more stable. 

• Hello,

My experience is more or less the same. Only used it for swimming, not much different than him-tri and swim in my case. Good reaction to changes in rhythm and stops.

• +1 for this. I have found that even before I start running, the reading can be stuck around the 140+ range when I am stood still. The only fix is to toggle the oHR off/on and it then seems to settle down to a sensible number. I have not compared with the strap or my TICKR FIT. Unfortunately, the Auxhiliary HR data field doesn't have the 935 listed as compatible with the 945 so I cant record both at once.... (is there a way to 'side-load' the data field ??)

• In running for me Is good for steady runs and for intervals of 300 meters and longer. In short sprints and short intervals sometimes the optical Heart rate monitora misses the growing part, sometimes it misses the recovery part.

During the day Is accurate

Not tested in bike and swimming

• Definitely behaving badly for me. When I first received the watch it was way better than my 235 and fairly consistent with my HRM strap. To the point I stopped using the strap for most activities as it was very similar. Since the beta the watch is hopeless for heart rate.  

Totally fine in the background for rest etc. However, as soon as I start to run I'm almost immediately at 130-140. ThIs then climbs as I run. Always 20+ too high. If I switch to the strap it drops. 

Basically the watch sensor ruins all the stats on the watch so I wear the strap. 

Pre beta was very good. Since beta, terrible. 

Regards

Stev

• Still useless for me for all run types in winter or summer. It often cadence locks to 170-180bpm.

It's possibly worse than before the beta but that isn't saying much.

I am finding the OHR only useful for RHR.