This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to switch map region in the 945

Hi....I ordered a forerunner 945 via a dutch site. But now I have the watch (came from Great Britain) but I don't see european maps in the watch. I can only reinstall north america maps so my guess is that it's actually a watch from a different region.

How can I deinstall the north america region and install the European region?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Hmmm, that is weird. I'm from the Netherlands and ordered mine in the UK. And i have the west European maps. You get the maps free from the region were you buying the watch. If you need additional maps you need to buy them or use OpenstreetMaps.

The north American maps are just overlays

Do you have a screenshot of garmin express?

• Like FrankGNL I also ordered in the UK and got european maps.

These also work fine btw:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Believe you have to choose 'Generic Routable (New Style)'

Go the NL map on it from there and seems to work like a charm... For other official garmin maps I'm afraid you'll have to buy them indeed.

• I installed the coverage maps of Europe...but that is too small to be it (and doesn't seem to do anything).

I read that it is the TopoActive map that's the one and indicated here for North America.

I've send a message to the reseller how this is possible

• Thanks...... When the reseller answers and nothing can be done than I will certainly try this option.

Do you know how to buy the european map and than switch it?

I guess the watch probably would not have enough storage space for both gigantic maps

• I also read someone used the open fietsmap (open cycle maps) on the watch. I use these maps quite often when creating routes. They make work pretty well for you as well:

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to R R

Maybe you can explain to Garmin that you bought the watch in Europe and that they will give you the correct map

• As far as I understand Garmin does not provide the luxury of selecting map regions to download, although that should really be the norm for a watch of this price and in this day and age. So, if you get a map from the "wrong" region, you maybe can buy the other regions maps (not sure), or possibly customer support can help you - but in effect you do not have a regular way to switch this map.

That being said, for me the openfietsmap.nl are simply better maps, I see no reason for using the preinstalled Garmin maps at all - so for me it would not be a big deal.

• yes it was that site. I've requested a solution from them so let's see. I've now put the Netherlands in the watch and that works fine. But of course I would rather have Europe default installed then N America.

• Thank you. I will try that too.... The openstreetmap already works fine so let's see what the difference is.

Did you de-install the orignal map and do you know how?

Would free up a lot of space probably (refresh N America map is 7gig).