This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Distance not showing when using pool swim activity

Hi All,

I'm new to Garmin watches. Recently bought the 945 and tried doing a pool swim with the watch.

After about an hour of swim, the distance counter on the watch is still 0. I had set the pool length correctly and I'm not sure why the distance is not being tracked. Could it be an issue with the accelerometer or is there some setting which I have missed?

Thanks!

• Same problem here. After using the watch for about a year, it stopped measuring distance in pool swim. GPS works on other activities but in pool swim it just shows 0

• Same here. After a software update last weekend my Fenix 6 does not record any swiming lanes. I have been using it for about a year without problems, but this week the distance is just stuck on 0.

• The way the 945 tracks swim workouts in a pool isn't by using GPS, it uses the accelerometer built into the watch to determine when you do a flip turn then credits you the amount of distance for the pool size that you set at the start of the activity. That hardware that measures that is the same one that measures steps.

Are you getting steps to record throughout the day?

Can you try to reset just the pool swim activity profile?

• Go to your Pool Swim profile
    • Hold the middle left button
    • Select Pool Swim settings
    • Scroll to the very bottom of the Pool Swim Settings Menu
    • Select Restore Defaults

If you follow those steps you are just resetting the pool swim function to defaults, not your entire watch, then try swimming with it. 

• It seems a flawed system if you need to flip turn. 
    #dissapointed

• Yes I am aware of that. Nearly every sportswatch works this way for indoor swimming. I am getting steps and alraedy did the reset to defaults. I think there might be something wrong with my the swimming software components since this happend after updating.

• I will try it tomorrow and update you. In any case this is frustrating. Steps are counting normally. It seems like another software problem. 

• It seems a flawed system if you need to flip turn.

You don't need to flip turn - that's just an unfortunate turn of phrase.. I do also sorts of things at the end of the pool when chasing direction.and rarely lose or gain laps. The important thing to do is to make sure you have a good push off the wall and swim the lengths without interruption using a single stroke..

• I tried and it didn’t work. Step counter works perfectly. I tried to “cheat” using open water swim and surprisingly, it didn’t pick up distance either. 
    for a top range watch, this is frustrating. 

• I swim freestyle. I've never had any problems with fr945 when it comes to lap count, and I've had really bad experience with another watch before that. So i don't think this is a fundamental issue with fr. You could easily check if it's the watch fault by asking someone, who swims fast freestyle to test it. If it records the laps correctly, the problem lies with your stroke and swimming technique. Otherwise it could be the watch. As others pointed out, you have to push hard of the wall when you turn.

• Fixed the issue on my fenix 6 by doing a full system reset. Took me a while to set my configuration back up again, but at least it has worked.