This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Distance not showing when using pool swim activity

Hi All,

I'm new to Garmin watches. Recently bought the 945 and tried doing a pool swim with the watch.

After about an hour of swim, the distance counter on the watch is still 0. I had set the pool length correctly and I'm not sure why the distance is not being tracked. Could it be an issue with the accelerometer or is there some setting which I have missed?

Thanks!

• What stroke are you swimming? And please don't be insulted at this question, Are you pressing Start when you begin swimming?

• No worries mate. Swimming breaststroke and yes, I did press start (stopwatch timer is running).

• Are you sure you have it on a 'swim' screen and not the 'Dril Log' screen? Distance will not be recorded when 'Drill Log' is showing.

There may well be a problem with the watch but equally it might possibly be something to do with your swimming technique - stroke and turn.

Have you ran or walked with it? If you have, have you seen cadence information? One way of checking your accelerometer is working

• Thanks for the help. Yep, I’m definitely not doing drill logs. I realised that when I make some arm movements on land with the pool activity on, some distance is actually registered. It just doesn’t happen in the water. I have tried the walking activity and distance is registered as well. So I’m not sure if it’s a problem with me or the watch. I read that the accuracy of the Swimming distance is affected by how well the strokes are executed. Granted I’m not a strong swimmer - I take about slightly less than 2 mins to swim 50m, but I did not think that no distance would be registered at all. All in, have done about 3hours of Swimming and not a single metre registered. I contacted support and they advised me to do a hard reset. Not sure if that would help but I Guess I just have to give it a try. Thanks!

• everytime you are pushing off the wall your watch should recognize the beginning of a new length.if you are not pushing hard enough the accelerometer doesn´t work. There is no counting in between lengths. be sure to really push off the wall

• Hi, did you work this one out? I am having the same issue

• Hi, did you work this one out? I am having the same issue

• Have you had good results with laps tracked correctly while swimming breaststroke?

I'm now on a 5X and cannot get my breaststroke set to count.  

• Hi, the prolem with my forerunner 945 ended up being a faulty accelerometer, I first noticed the issue when swimming laps, then noticed the step counter was not working correctly either. The watch was replaced user warranty.

• Same problem, only 1/3 of my laps are recorded Angry