This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chest Strap connected but Wrist OHRM still on during Activity (945)

I just got my 945, set everything up like I had on my 935 and am about to do a Strength training workout. I paired all of my external straps the day before, including the HRM-Dual+ I've been using for months now. The sensor is connected to the watch, and I'm in the activity screen (just haven't hit start yet) and I noticed that the OHRM is still running. I actually turned off the OHRM in the settings, and it's still going regardless. On the 935 it would state at least the External HR was connected, this isn't. Does anyone know what the case is with this? Is the watch just running off the OHRM, is it running for pulseOX (I guess) Is the hr info coming from the strap. I don't know what to do here.

Edit update: Ok, so I did a simple power down with the OHRM to off, powered on, opened up the Strength activity, and BOOM! External HR Connected appeared. Went back to the OHRM settings and turned it back to auto and the watch is still connected to the HRM-Dual+. I hope this isn't what I have to do every time I wanna workout to get the watch to recognize the external sensor.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Guess Garmin is pleased to welcome a new beta tester Hugging

You will find fellow victims over here ... ohr-doesn-t-switch-off-when-connecting-bt-hr-or-ant-hr-strap

og...forgot to tell ya...as Former Member mentions this could be caused by Garmin Pay

• but since both 245 and 945 display the same behaviour...guess not

happy sporting

• Oh, it is. I had Pay setup with one of my cards. Hadn't used it at all nor did I ever input the passcode. Just deleted the wallet and it worked fine. Also, and I know I'm about to get at least another person tell me I'm wrong (I'm not, this year FOUR with Garmin watches with OHRM doing this), but leaving the external sensor (any and all) to an open connection is forcing the OHRM to turn off as to connect to the external strap for a reading rather than stay on the OHRM in everything NOT a recorded activity where the External Strap would get priority.

How do I know? I left the sensor connection "open" after doing said workout and went and took a shower. First off, my HR widget looks like a splotchy mess (Happens every time), the battery nosed-dived by nearly 40% (might be from this, might be from the Pay issue, I'm not sure yet) and as I typed this, I checked the sensor menu and it was connected to my external HR strap as it sits a good 20 feet away from me on a shelf in the other room.

Either way, if this is how the 945 functions, forget about beta testing (I've done it for years), I'm out of patience with these watches. FYI the watch is sitting right next to me with the HR widget open on the table....getting HR measurements, from the table. OHRM isn't turning off like the 935 did when it noticed it wasn't being worn. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 2goBeyond

strange the 245 does not have pay...perhaps Garmin forgot to uncheck it when compiling the firmware

Slight smile

bah, we all know how Garmin uses us

ROW should be like APAC releases...stable versions

and only release real labeled beta as beta and not how it is done now

am I talking like DCR's Wink rant

but in the mean time do enjoy the watch, I Iiked the 945 were it not for the bbbbbuttons

happy sporting

• lol, I'm not having the button issues...yet. All of this could be fixed if Garmin implemented an opt-in beta system for users that auto send daily logs to Garmin with all bugs or issues for them to sort through. The system as it is now is just random info at random times with random people not knowing what to send or what the actual problem is.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 2goBeyond
    I'm not having the button issues...yet

Not to get off topic, but I personally don't believe there's a button "issue".  The MARQ, 945 and 245 all where released about the same time and this is where you'll hear about the "issue".  Garmin obviously changed something and the buttons are different, but I have yet to have them fail in anyway.  People are having their watches replaced only to have the "issue" again.  I think the issue people are experiencing is their buttons feel different then previous watches, so they're convinced there must be a problem.  I probably just made the "most hated forum poster" by saying this, but on honestly think it's the case.

• This is how my 945 worked as well when I first got it.

Now, with latest firmware, this seems to have been fixed.

WHR is off when connected to chest strap. And, yes, I have GarminPay set up.

• My buttons click on the 945, they all clicked on my 935 too; then one day some stopped clicking. They all functioned just fine but some just stopped clicking.

I don't doubt the 945 will do the same thing, difference comes down to of the button doesn't work anymore.

• It was an OTA Bluetooth update that fixed the "Does not connect to external sensors"

Firmware 2.5 did not fix it for me - but a few days later I got a Bluetooth update. 

Since then battery has been slightly better and I don't need to reset watch to connect to external sensors.

But on the minus side - Bluetooth range has become very limited.

• Hi, 

Thanks OnlyTwo for linking these treats.

Today got results from test performed by retailer where I bought FR245.  The FR245 the retailer used showed normal behaviour -> OHR turned off when ext HR onnected or after switched off via settings; even after red oxy light has flickered.  

Verdict is that my watch is faulty/defect and will be exchanged.  Normal behaviour is that OHR should turn of, even after red oxy light has flickered. 

Kr,

Fer

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Fer

Glad to hear you are being served by Garmin Wink

Best of luck with the exchange.

happy sporting