This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 battery issue

I have huge problem with battery.

Before I used fenix 5x plus and battery 7days was standard.

Now I use 945 I every week I cut something and always less than  days.

I already turn off pulsoxymetr tottaly , use less applications,  run with only GPS without gallileo.  Run less than 40km per week and my record 5 days.

How much your battery stay in 945?

• Thx Garmin-Blake! Yesterday 50% battery lost in less than an afternoon. After an Hard Reset everything works perfectly. 

• I am pleased to confirm that after performing  the hard reset described above the battery seems to be performing normally again. It's gone down just 4% over the last 24 hours.

• I have had a battery draw fluctuating between 0,51-0,72 %/hr. I have been through 4 cycles where I have    charged up to 100% after use.

Today after reading post from Garmin Blake and Sime11 I decided to perform hard reset and then charge up to 100%.

It is still early after I did this (6 hours when I write this) but I am astonished to report that the battery draw now is 0,16 %/hr according to battery monitor widget.

Watch is on fw 2.50 and I have not installed gps beta fw.

• Just got my watch, had issues connecting to an external chest strap but found a workaround to make it work. Battery going into the workout %79, one hour later: 43% draining at 10% per hour via Battery monitor. Did a hard rest, drain seemed to be on the same track. Just plugged it in to fully charge and will try this again tomorrow. JUST GOT THIS WATCH YESTERDAY. I will be reaching out for a refund if it doesn't change, Either directly from Garmin or from the Vendor on Amazon I bought it.

I am tired of this every, single, time I buy a new watch from you. Four years now, every time.

Update: the hard reset/full charge stopped the 10% per hour drain....but there's definitely a problem somewhere because it's now consistently draining at 1.4% per hour every hour in 24/7 mode for a total of 2.3 days of life without ANY tracked activities or GPS use, which I'm about to attempt in a bit for a run. 

I'm on the live update and the 2.42 GPS update and did away with Garmin Pay. How this company makes the same mistakes over and over with new watch launches is beyond me. Do you not look at the life of prior devices including the legacy of this one (935) and take into account all the course correcting you did over it's lifespan? Is the code THAT drastically different?

• And I own about a week with four training sessions, with only GPS. The 24-hour power consumption as a regular watch is about 4%. I think it can hardly last longer for a battery in a sports watch, maybe in the future with other types of batteries.

• About three days with the 945, Four charges (initial/Abnormal drain issue/day two with a 40min run/last night). Battery monitor has the battery at a consistent 1.7% per hour drain, regardless to watch face, CIQ widgets installed or used, or not being used. Garmin Pay is gone, do not have music set up, have the newest GPS update installed and on the latest live build. If I had to make a guess; I think it's the All-day Pulse OX. I am going to turn it off and wait 24 hours to see if it's making any difference.

Update 1: I take that back. Even though I turned off both Sleep PulseOX and All-day Pulse OX; watch still is taking the measurements. I confirmed when I cycled to the widget and it went to take the measurement and the red light confirmed it. Powered down, still taking the measurement, red light still on.

I repeat I am not using Garmin Pay here. PulseOX has to be the culprit. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 2goBeyond

I keep all day and sleep pulse ox off (because it's a big battery drain) and if I'm curious what it is, I open the widget to get a reading. It's designed to work this way. Are you saying that you have a red light on even if the widget isn't opened? I just checked mine again. It normally completes the measurement a few seconds after my screen locks, and the red light turns off immediate afterwards. If yours is staying on, there's a fault there and you may want to exchange it or contact support and wait and see if it's a known issue that Garmin can correct with a SW update.

support.garmin.com/.../

• FWIW...I did a master reset, drain and full recharge a few days ago.  Since then I've run about 1hr each of the last 2 days.  I also shutdown at night since I don't wear my watch to bed.  My settings:

1) Wifi = off

2) Garmin pay = on

3) All day PulseOx = off

4) Activity PulseOx = off

4) Backlight = always off

5) Sounds = off

6) Vibration = on

7) Smart notifications = on

8) TrueUp = off

9) Activity tracking = on

10) Widgets = Music, Notifications, Weather, Calendar, Alt. Timezones, Stress, PulseOx, Heart Rate, Performance, Training Status, My Day, Battery Monitor

Current battery drain = .287% per hour

• Widget is gone not just out of the rotation, but when I did check initially, it was up. For forcing a measurement I know the widget will do that...but, with the senor option turned to OFF, the widget should (like the OHRM widget) Not 1)turn on the sensor 2)not demand a measurement.

If you turn OFF the wrist HR and try to get a measurement from the widget, you should get a (--). The OHRM will not turn over and light up, and you will get no result(s). PulseOX is doing the opposite.

Could I have a defective? Could be, but I'm inclined to think there's a bug in the code right now. I'll wait for Garmin to address it in a new update or a response from the beta team since I've passed this on to them. If it's hardware; good chance it may be more then just a isolated device.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 2goBeyond

Yes, with the oHRM turned off, you'll get no HR reading with the widget.  You can turn off all day and sleep pulse ox, but the support link I included in my previous post states this is how a manual test is performed if all day and sleep is turned off. It isn't designed the same way as the oHRM sensor and it's actually working correctly then.  There is no "on' and "off" like the oHRM, it's just turning it on or off for all day or sleep readings.  Think of it as having 3 different settings.  All day, during sleep, or off unless you use the widget for a current level manual reading.