This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill Calibration

Just moved from Fenix 5+ to 945. On the Fenix after each treadmill run I was able to adjust the distance by “Calibrate & Save”. The 945 manual tells me that the process is the same but the option is not available at the end of each run. I run on lots of different treadmills so need this after each run as was possible on the Fenix. Any ideas?

• Yes, don´t find save and calibrate in the menu.

I´m on the latest firmware version.

Thanks!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to pdais97

would you try it with a master reset, otherwise I have to do a reset myself Smile

happy & safe sporting

• Hi, I saw that this thread stopped. Was a solution found? I have SW3.10, I run on a TM 5k or 10k. At the end of a run instead of 5k it shows 3.2k and instead of 10k, 6.5k. Each time I scroll down, and below Save, you can find Calibrate ans Save. I select that and it clearly displays the message Calibrating Done.. When I run the next it’s the same story, the distance and all the other values pace, speed, etc. are off by a lot. I forgot to mention that I bought a Running Dynamics Pod, but it does not help.

Some people on this forum suggested the TM info is wrong. I ran on 3 different TM models and brands, and problem is not that, but the fact that the watch can’t save / adjust for your pace. I had an Amazfit Bip cheap watch before and it was able to do it perfectly. My FR245M cannot do it. I opened a case with Garmin and they admitted this is a known issue, but there are not enough people that complained about this, and it might take time before they start working on this issue. This is totally ridiculous.

Any other people here in my situation?

Sincerely I will soon try to get an RMA and return the watch after 2 months.

Thanks

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to titust1

solved for 

After about 3 weeks of trying all kind of troubleshooting methods I managed to fix the calibration issue. Here is what I did.

In the past I have tried to reset the watch to factory defaults twice, but back then this didn’t fix the treadmill calibration issue. I have to admit that all my attempts to reset the watch were before, when the watch still had an older SW version.

Meanwhile I upgraded to the latest official SW version 3.10. But again this DID not fix my issue.

Then I tried things that other people advised me to do, like running with GPS, or adjusting the stride length manually (but apparently that is just for walking.

None of these methods worked. When I was about to put my watch on ebay, I said I will give it another try to do a last factory reset, and try the calibration once more.

After the factory reset I did not install any app or face from the IQ site, I didn’t change any settings in the watch, I left everything as the default

I ran then first time a 5k, and the watch recorded 7.6k (that was expected, because for the first time it never gets it right). The I calibrated and saved indicating that I ran 5k. At the next TM run, I ran also 5k, and amazingly the watch indicated this time the good distance, pace and speed. At the end of the race it showed 5.01k. This is very accurate.

So to wrap up, I don’t know why after my first resets the problem was not solved, but this time it was.

Another question that I have is why the watch ended up to behave like that with this calibration bug? Was this because of the few watch faces, apps, and widgets that I downloaded from the Connect IQ site? No idea.

In the end I will the watch. BTW Garmin support didn’t know how to fix the issue.

I hope this helps other people who have the same issue 

happy & safe sporting

• You have to set your stryd sensor to auto calibration, then u can do a threadmill calibration. A little bit annoying, I think it's a bug

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to runabilly

You have to set your stryd sensor to auto calibration, then u can do a threadmill calibration. A little bit annoying, I think it's a bug

this could be the solution seeing no menu after the firmware update

(with the previous firmware I had always a 'calibrate and save' menu with 'auto calibration' off)

I already did a reset to default

would you please check what happens now when turning off auto calibration

do you have uberhaupt a 'calibrate and save' menu after a treadmill run ?

@pdais97, could you please check 's find

turn on the stryd 'auto calibration' and see if you get a 'calibrate and save' menu after a treadmill run

happy & safe sporting

• I’m sorry my solution doesn’t work. I tried today again to run on TM and the distance was again way off. So the calibration worked just once 

• I don’ have a Stryd I have a Running Dynamics pod

• I am also having lots of issues calibrating my 945 on a treadmill.   The watch is all over the place (.2 miles vs 1 mile) or thinks I am running 5 min/miles (vs 8 min/miles).   Never head this type of issue with previous Garmin watches.  Given I have not found an answer on this forum, I think it might be a bigger issue with the device.

• According to Garmin support when I chatted online yesterday, she said they are set to realize an update mid November to fix the TM issue with the 945. I asked about the calibration after the run and that I don’t see the option anymore. I did not scroll through to confirm nor have I ran to see but she advised that Hulu have to run longer than a mile and if you scroll towards the bottom there should be an option to calibrate and save. Again, I have not ran to check this and I have been running on an assault runner which was never close according to my Apple Watch so I have to get a different gym to check.

Also what sensor is everyone using for more accurate indoor running? I’m seeing stryde sensor, is that the foot pod? I ordered a dynamics pod not realizing it’s pretty much the same thing as RUN heart strap. I’ve since returned that pod and trying order a foot pod or waiting to see if there’s something else to use.