Bug fixes, new features, and what will the 955 bring?

like many of you, i took the plunge last June, hoping that the 945LTE wouldn't be the forgotten step child of a watch, especially given the assurances from Garmin to DCRainmaker that this wouldn't be the case. i share in the frustration of many of you that while the watch has been great in many respects, there are a long list of small, and some significant bugs that continue to plague our watch 11 months later.

i really find myself a bit at a loss of what Garmin is doing behind the scenes with your beloved watch.. while the news through DC Rainmaker that Stamina and onboard Connect IQ settings changes (the latter being challenging according to what DC says) being added features to the 945LTE in 2022 are nice, i'd rather have Garmin focus on delivering a watch that does the things promised in the user manual and specifications when it was released in June 2021.

with the recent "leak" of the 955 out on Reddit, it makes me wonder what the 955 will bring and i ask if any of you folks would upgrade to it? this is what i gather from the leaks:

- solar option (although a non-solar version will be available)

- touch screen ? (no mention of it in any leaked docs or discussion)

- updated GPS with multi-band

- stamina

- onboard Connect IQ settings changes

- larger screen? (1.3" back onto a 47mm watch?)

- any LTE? no mention of it recently and surprising it wasn't included in any of the Fenix7/Epix2 models

what would lead you guys to eat the investment of the 945LTE and go with the 955? i'd be torn with any of the items i listed above. my LTE has for the most part done everything i needed it to do, and i don't even use the LTE feature. i think the only lure might be the newer GPS with dual band capability and if they went back to the 47mm with the 1.3" screen and a better battery life. (i'd be more than content with my 945LTE if it really lived up to specs. as i've noted many times before, this watch has significantly less battery life than my 935 even though it was spec'd to be similar)

as as a side note: one thing that i continue to be impressed with after seeing a Fenix 7 briefly the other day is the quality of the screen visibility on the 945LTE. without the touchscreen layer (presumably) and/or solar and sapphire, i find my 945LTE has great visibility from all angles and with backlight, significantly more pleasing visibility at night than my 935 ever had. i'll be curious what the 955 screen ends up looking like.

• I like the size of the 945LTE , that little bit smaller makes a difference, Hoping on the beta also!

• it's odd if the 255 doesn't have live segments.

if i didn't need maps (hiking/backpacking), i think i'd be going with the 255. it looks like an awesome watch.

• Yeah more accurate GPS = more accurate training loads, race predictions, training readiness, v02max etc. I would always use the MultiGNSS for workouts. 

But how much more accurate? Is it worth giving up the smaller size of the LTE? Giving up LTE? 

• the tracks on the 955 (and Fenix 7) look truly impressive with multi band GNSS which i am assuming/hoping translates to better real time pace when i'm running through tree covered trails (where my pace will wildly fluctuate even though i know i am not varying my speed at all on the 945LTE (or 935)). it's not like the 945LTE was a slouch in the GPS dept at all but being a data geek and tech head, i really wanted to try out this latest technology.

i have moderately small wrists (6.75" diameter) but i lived with a 935 for 4+ years, so i don't expect i'll have any issue with the bigger diameter. the 955 is a hair thicker than the 935/945/945LTE, but i'm hoping a half mm won't be too perceptible. as for LTE, i never subscribed so it's not a lost feature for me. the good news is the friend who will buy the watch from me will very likely subscribe, so its a win-win and the watch will end up doing something it was designed to do (but i didn't end up using it for).

• That’s the conundrum isn’t it … in my use case I doubt the better accuracy is that pivotal. I don’t use (Haven’t I suppose is the better word) the LTE as yet and I do enjoy the slightly smaller footprint .. decisions decisions !

It’s almost as of the 945LTE is a 955s to some extent apart from the touch screen. Strangely enough having thought that would be the selling point , years of buttons post the FR630 have made it easy to remain without touch … I don’t use the maps much if at all .

• Yeah it's nice to know the instant pace for workouts and GPS is one of the most important features of a running watch so having it more accurate is worthwhile. I have 18mm wrists and prefer 42-44mm I really noticed the extra thickness of the 945LTE vs the 745 which was a difference of 0.4mm. Well the 955 is 0.5mm thicker than even the 945LTE which is the only thing putting me off upgrading. The 945 was 47mm but it weren't too bad as it were thinner. 

If I were single I wouldn't care about LTE but once my GF called the police on me on a 2.5 hour long run. Once I got injured 5K out from home and she could of picked me up if I had LTE. Also if we both go to the beach she sunbathes whilst I run and she can meet me or find me if she needs to. Also gives her peace of mind knowing when I'm heading back or finishing a run when she needs alone time living together. 

All this said I don't like paying £7 a month for it, it adds up. I have a Tiny Zanco T1 I can also use for emergency situations or texting / calling her.

You sound like a great friend I'm sure he will love it and hope he finds the LTE useful as I do. My gf helped me get a PB by texting me the last K of a 5K. It's great if your partner runs and is interested in your running.

• Interestingly the altitude on both differ quite a lot % wise 99m on 955 and 143m on the 945LTE in the same room. 
    I am not using the LTE functionality as yet on the 945LTE. Still not sure on the impact of the size, there is definitely a difference but not sure it’s a dealbreaker as yet.

• have you calibrated both outside during an activity? hopefully they would match better with altitude after doing that.