Bug fixes, new features, and what will the 955 bring?

like many of you, i took the plunge last June, hoping that the 945LTE wouldn't be the forgotten step child of a watch, especially given the assurances from Garmin to DCRainmaker that this wouldn't be the case. i share in the frustration of many of you that while the watch has been great in many respects, there are a long list of small, and some significant bugs that continue to plague our watch 11 months later.

i really find myself a bit at a loss of what Garmin is doing behind the scenes with your beloved watch.. while the news through DC Rainmaker that Stamina and onboard Connect IQ settings changes (the latter being challenging according to what DC says) being added features to the 945LTE in 2022 are nice, i'd rather have Garmin focus on delivering a watch that does the things promised in the user manual and specifications when it was released in June 2021.

with the recent "leak" of the 955 out on Reddit, it makes me wonder what the 955 will bring and i ask if any of you folks would upgrade to it? this is what i gather from the leaks:

- solar option (although a non-solar version will be available)

- touch screen ? (no mention of it in any leaked docs or discussion)

- updated GPS with multi-band

- stamina

- onboard Connect IQ settings changes

- larger screen? (1.3" back onto a 47mm watch?)

- any LTE? no mention of it recently and surprising it wasn't included in any of the Fenix7/Epix2 models

what would lead you guys to eat the investment of the 945LTE and go with the 955? i'd be torn with any of the items i listed above. my LTE has for the most part done everything i needed it to do, and i don't even use the LTE feature. i think the only lure might be the newer GPS with dual band capability and if they went back to the 47mm with the 1.3" screen and a better battery life. (i'd be more than content with my 945LTE if it really lived up to specs. as i've noted many times before, this watch has significantly less battery life than my 935 even though it was spec'd to be similar)

as as a side note: one thing that i continue to be impressed with after seeing a Fenix 7 briefly the other day is the quality of the screen visibility on the 945LTE. without the touchscreen layer (presumably) and/or solar and sapphire, i find my 945LTE has great visibility from all angles and with backlight, significantly more pleasing visibility at night than my 935 ever had. i'll be curious what the 955 screen ends up looking like.

• it'll be interesting if they keep selling the 945LTE for a while, if there is no LTE option for the 955. it _appears_ based on my rough math and the photos that the 955 might have a a 1.3" screen, but i'm not 100% sure. i also wonder if that extra bit of thickness will be noticeable in day-to-day wear. 

i confess to being a gadget guy who can be lured into upgrade-itis. i still think the reasons for me to upgrade would be the 1.3" screen and multi band GPS. yet, i can't say i'm overwhelmed by what this offers over the 945LTE. if Garmin could release a firmware that gets smartwatch battery range closer to spec and has a functional battery saver mode as described in the manual, i think i could be content with my 945LTE (bugs, notwithstanding)

i find it interesting that the rumored price for the 955 (non-solar) is $499. that's a change in the upward pricing that has been happening over the last 5(?) years. if that's the case, it's a refreshing change.

• I couldn’t care less about a touch screen or Amoled display but I like the LTE option. I would upgrade for a 1.3 screen and a flashlight like the 7X.

• Just got the 955. Have a 945LTE I bought on the sales recently...specifically returnable so I could try both (upgraded from a 745)... Initial comments.  

I like the 945LTE size and the black touches on the Whitestone 945LTE as opposed to the silver on the Whitestone 955.Whilst on app data screens are nice , its not something one changes each day.. Hopefully this will come to 945LTE..with the next firmware updates.

Slightly bigger screen is nice but again is it necessary and is the size increase OK...need to do a few runs to find out I guess.

GPS accuracy ...never faulted the 945LTE , but I can see that the 955 latches onto the GPS quicker.

Pricing is definitely interesting move by Garmin.

Touchscreen on 955 is nice (I had the 610/20/30 and liked the touchscreen there also)

I'd try the 255 possibly (for weight / size) but it doesn't seem to have live segments strangely enough?

Any new updated on the 945LTE firmware update?

• did you go with the Solar version? how is screen visibility indoors relative to the 945 LTE (which is excellent, IMHO)?

for anyone interested in better instantaneous pace, i am thinking the new GPS on the 955 is a game changer. all the reviews of the 955 and Fenix 7 with dual band show incredibly impressive tracks even in challenging situations. (my 945LTE has been excellent but i am hoping for better performance when i run through tree cover as the 945LTE struggles in such scenarios)

• Hi, No just the regular at this stage. The screen visibility is great also , comparable to the 945LTE. The slightly larger screen helps on the data screens with multiple units displayed. Haven't had issues with my 945LTE on GPS , but can notice the acquisition on the 955 is very quick.

• thanks for your experiences. i think i'm going to pull the trigger on the Solar and see if the screen visibility is an issue for me. if it is, i'll revert to the base model. the added endurance with Solar should be nice for me living in California, and even makes use of some of the bezel deadspace, but we'll see if i get bothered by the small reduction in visibility others have noted, while indoors.

i have zero complaints about the speed of GPS acquisition on my 945LTE (i had a 210 many years ago and that model took forever to lock on), but am looking forward to more accurate tracks and better real time pace.

if it weren't for my friend wanting to buy my 945LTE from me, i wouldn't be upgrading. it's been a great watch in the year i've owned it. hoping the 955 will get me back to a 4 year or longer upgrade cycle. i can't imagine what else i'd want in a watch. 

• Sounds good, I was thinking of changing for the solar within the return cycle..will see! Yeah the early models were rather bulky and slow to acquire. But better than the string and map book way of measuring.

• I'll going to sell the watch. This model it has no sense any more. The 955 price has kill this model (and F7 non shappire models) and Garmin know it. 945LTE has died. Long live to 945LTE. lol

• I'm still kind of torn.  I love the idea of solar increasing my battery life, I also love the slightly larger screen and of course various updates.  I think the touch screen for non-sport use is interesting and I'd likely use it.

For me, however, I've grown set on "needing" LTE as a comfort level for my family to be able to track me / find me if I go out without a phone - which is roughly 2/3 of my runs (none of my bikes or swims).

If they had a 955 LTE Solar I probably would have jumped - probably while being frustrated and worried about firmware support :)

Instead, I am still eagerly hoping the rumors of a beta program with 955-like features are coming our way (hopefully with some battery improvements or other noted bug fixes).

• i think the added solar battery life will be nice, but as i noted above, i hope it doesn't come at too high a cost of screen clarity. some of the videos/images i've seen suggest some degradation which i would expect, but i hope i won't struggle to read it indoors in current situations where i can look at my 945LTE without worrying about viewing angle or turning on the backlight.

completely get it  : if you want LTE, then this watch is the only game in town right now. i have never activated LTE on mine so that was an unused feature for me.

i may be disappointed but the main lure of the 955 for me is the better GPS. i am hoping that translates to better real time pace estimate through tree cover . (i would think so based on how accurate all the published tracks seem to be in different reviews). i'm not sold on touch yet, but we'll see. i definitely will keep it on for maps when i am backpacking/hiking.

even after my presumed adoption of the 955 or 955 solar in the days ahead, i'll be keeping an eye out here. my less geeky, but very active friend will be buying my 945LTE from me. i want to make sure his watch has all the proper bells and whistles and is functioning as well as it can be. he's pretty sure that he will find the LTE feature worthwhile too. (he does a lot of mtn biking and hiking locally where he generally has LTE service)