Bugs in 4.16 :/

So, I saw these issues in the 4.07 beta, but I was hoping at least some of them would be fixed in the production release.

- Cannot Pan/Zoom map page during a paused run activity (after the activity has been started). Around Me and Save Location are also missing from the menu. This seems to really limit the usefulness of the map page. (This is not during navigation, if it makes a difference.) All of these options are available while the activity is unpaused.

- Connect IQ data field apps always believe the background color is white, even if it's actually black. (This causes all the text in Stryd Power Zones to be invisible, because it's also black): https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/discussion/277505/datafield-getbackgroundcolor-returns-color_white-when-background-is-black-945-lte

- Strength app doesn't remember weight from previous set. (The weight is always reset to zero, which means that you have to edit every set.)

- Stopwatch time and laps are invisible after starting stopwatch, pressing UP (for options), selecting Go to Watchface, then returning to the stopwatch. (The time reappears when you pause the stopwatch, but disappears when you restart it. Apparently, the only way to get the time and laps to display again (while the stopwatch is running) is to reset the stopwatch.

On a more positive note, at least the bug has been fixed where CIQ data fields crash and restart when you return to the watchface during an activity.

• My watch updated to 4.16 yesterday (I had been on the beta since I saw it posted).

In this morning’s swim no yards were recorded.  The beta worked fine.

Since getting home from the pool I started a “pool swim” in my kitchen, waved my arms around a bit, pretended to flip turn, and waved them some more - I saw a lap noted….

Hopeful my issue was some weird one-off, but will report to Garmin as well.

<edit to add>

I just got a run done with the 945 LTE on 4.16 as well.  Things mostly seemed ok, but when I reviewed my Stryd data field it just showed "Searching...".  During the run I assumed my battery was dead (although charged just a run or two ago) or that something had gone weird with the firmware causing Connect IQ or sensor issues.

I reviewed my activity on Connect after and see my HRM Tri data fields AND Stryd data... so am not sure what was going on with the data field.

• I had a pool swim workout I've done before and this new update just plainly skips steps. I had some repeats in there, it does the 1st one and counts down on the rest, and just jumps out the loop to the next step. Frustrating these updates take one step forward and 2 steps back. On the bright side, at least the rest timer counts down instead of up when you have a preset rest duration. My Fenix 3 from years ago had that right.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to pyfacomprez

There is no trick. If you're on a beta firmware and a new stable release comes out you will get the update, either when connecting the watch to Garmin Express on your computer or if you have auto-updates enabled you will get it via Wi-Fi or Garmin connect. 

• I didn't observe this stopwatch time and lape invisible problem. So I rechecked and I saw that it is happening only if you have more than 4 laps. With 4 or less laps (when you can see directly all of them on the screen) there is no problem.

• I went from 4.07 beta to 4.16 aswell. You have to install beta versions manually on the watch, when they release the beta updates. You can find it here + the guide https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945-lte/274668/forerunner-945-lte-software-version-4-07-beta---now-available
    Wouldnt recommend it tho

• I had the same thing happen to me! I ended up reporting it to Garmin as a bug. I had a 4x100 yd and it only did 2x until it skipped the last two. Had a 4x50yd and it did one and then skipped the rest. So there's something going on with distance either being counted twice or something.

• Strength app doesn't remember weight from previous set. (The weight is always reset to zero, which means that you have to edit every set.)

More details on this: the strength app remembers the last weight you set when you use the “Edit Last Set” feature from the settings menu (even between activities). But it doesn’t remember the weight you set in the previous set normally (when the app automatically presents you with the opportunity to change reps and weight after pressing Lap to end a set). 

Also, I think the weight selection spinners are a step backwards from 935. In 935 you had separate spinners for 100s, 10s, and 1s. Now there’s a spinner for 100s and a combined spinner for 10s and 1s. It’s nice that you can now hold UP or DOWN to increment/decrement faster, though. 

As a side note, I cannot believe that after all these years, Garmin still only has a single units (metric vs imperial) setting for Garmin Connect which applies to everything: eg distance and weight. Not everyone lives in America. In Canada it’s very common to use km for distance and lbs for weight, and it’s a pain to have to see kg for weight in Garmin connect in order to see km for distance. Mixed units work fine on the watch itself. (The weights I use at the gym are literally marked in lbs, but everyone uses km for running pace and distance outdoors.)

• Health Snapshot doesn't save HRV with a chess strap (garmin dual) but works without chess strap. I think this is a bug, doesn't have any sense.

• This, this happened today.  4.16 last night. Today, on a POOL workout I've been doing for over a year on both a 935 and my 945lte.  The workout started great, though my issue was fixed where it would count up the rest time instead of counting down.  The first time it worked repeat, after the 2nd repeat the workout ended.  

Workout.
    250 warmup
    5 x 500 w/1:00 rest
    250 cooldown

What happened.
    250 - Good
    100 - good
    lap press, rest - 59>58>57>65  awesome.
    100 - good
    auto (no lap press) rest - time starts counting up with a small 8 above it. wtf?

counts past 1:00 minutes.

press lap button it wants to manually go to next step,  WORKOUT ENDED....

mf, sigh.

• I used to be able to edit reps to go above 100 under the Strength activity, but ever 4.16 it limits me to 99.