This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Timer does not stop after completing workout!?

On my FR935, the timer does not stop - but continues to run and record data - after completing a programmed workout (e.g. "My Training").
My old forerunners all stopped, and then I could choose to start it again (after catching my breath ;-) ).

Is this a design flaw - or is there some way I can make the timer (recording) stop after my programmed workout has been completed??

Best
Martin
  • @Richard2145: Set auto-lap at 5km, then; the Lap 1 statistics will be that of your first 5km ('exactly', to the accuracy and subject to the limitations of GPS).
  • You are doing better than me if you have found a GPS watch (with or without a foot pod) that will always tell you that you have "exactly" run 5km or any "exact" distance for that matter.

Of course if you know an exact 5 km course then start and stop the timer at start and end and there is your exact 5km with your device. Given in GC you can manually set a time and record distance to any run then no problem on that front. The distance recorded by the device is unlikely to be much out so average pace (for instance) is also unlikely to be far out.
  • The set auto-lap at 5 km does work, but I like to see my time/distance every 1 km so I push harder if I fall behind, auto-lap is set to 1 km. So now if I need to know my 5 km time I manually add the 5 times. Very tedious process just to know your 5 km time. Again, its hard to believe I can not easily see my 5 km time using Fenix 5S. May I suggest to Garmin to add a Stop field when you create a workout.
  • The set auto-lap at 5 km does work, but I like to see my time/distance every 1 km so I push harder if I fall behind, auto-lap is set to 1 km. So now if I need to know my 5 km time I manually add the 5 times. Very tedious process just to know your 5 km time. Again, its hard to believe I can not easily see my 5 km time using Fenix 5S. May I suggest to Garmin to add a Stop field when you create a workout.

​​​​​​Couldn't agree more. This "new" behaviour is really annoying.
  • I'm seriously struggling to believe that there is so much discussion around this behaviour. I'm not a fan of the change and I don't necessarily agree with the rationale behind it. But it's not the end of the world.

The easiest thing to do is to set up a workout as follows:

Go until lap press - press lap when you are ready to start your 5km
    Run 5km - your device will record 5km
    or if you wish
    Run 1km, repeat 5 times
    Go until lap press - press lap or stop to end the workout.

It's not rocket science. It's not difficult. And it really adds nothing to the process. I liked it when it stopped at the end of the workout because I didn't have to think about ending the workout. But it's changed. it's a minor difference. There's much bigger things to be concerned about.

And a workout is not just a workout. it might be a bit more at the end of the cool down to run home or whatever.
  • I say don't get hung up on this as well. I assume all of the accuracy needs stem from not wanting to run a metre more so you have the best chance possible to run a record time. If you want to run a record time then get yourself to a race, you will run much quicker than solo. If you really want to run quickly, find a track race. Everything else should be considered as training for a target race and a few seconds here and there don't really matter IMO. Look at the trend over time and hopefully you will you are getting quicker.
  • If all you want to do is run 5K steady state why are you using a workout anyway? Press the timer when you start, press stop when you finish your 5K course. Auto lap gives your splits and the main timer gives you your overall time.

Besides it's impossible with this technology to both run an exact measured 5K and have the watch exactly show 5K as well.
  • This is a design flaw.  Unlike before when custom workouts ended automatically, now I have to remember to hit the stop button after the end of my workout, which jacks up my run time.  Would've been better to make this optional.  Thanks Garmin!

• What a poor excuse.:)  It would be easy for those who want to do this to add a cool down step in the workout.

• Design flaw, Garmin please fix or add a step option to halt timer.