This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Missing GPS files on Forerunner 735XT version 9.40

I bought a Forerunner 735XT on Amazon and it arrived today, but the GPS is not working after multiple updates and resets. Garmin Express and Garmin Connect both say I'm up to date on v9.40. I've looked in the GPS folder on the watch itself and it's empty. I've seen similar problems in the forum.

I spoke to support via web chat, but they said it's not possible to send me the missing files so I can manually update the watch. I really don't want to send the watch back, given that a software update should sort the problem. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

welcome to the Garmin club Wink

as far as I know there should not be any files in the GPS folder on Forerunner devices

only a file called epo.bin (for use with MTK GPS chipset) that is used for quick sat location should be located in the remotesw folder on your watch(Forerunner 735XT)

would you please post here in the forum all software version numbers from the about menu on your watch

happy & safe sporting

• Thanks for replying :-)

Software version: 9.40 (5ce78ad)

GPS: 3.30

Display: 2.10

Bluetooth/ANT: 2.50

WHR:2.20 (10.02.74)

Connect IQ: 2.4.9

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 9940760

thank you for the feedback

all numbers seem to be latest versions

on your watch in folder REMOTESW there is a file called EPO.BIN

the date of EPO.BIN should be a recent date...max 7 days old

when older, resync your watch directly via computer and Garmin Express

check the EPO.BIN date after sync

when not changed to local date do a GPS soak with your watch

start an outdoor activity on your watch and place the watch on a windowsill or go out for a nice walk for at least 20 minutes

that way you give your watch the time to build the GPS almanac (slow procedure !)

now back to the main problem Slight smile

but the GPS is not working after multiple updates and resets

how did you find out your GPS is not working ?

check in the activity settings if GPS is on/off

happy & safe sporting

• Apologies for not replying sooner,

I've taken your advice on GPS soaking. I actually have received a full GPS signal twice since last posting - but the majority of the time, it's mostly just hours of flashing one bar "wait for GPS" messages. I've tried switching on both GPS and also GPS+GLONASS. When I start an activity with the GPS switched on, I receive the "Wait for GPS" message. I've tried just starting the activity too, then either walking around outdoors or leaving it in the windowill for a few hours (I've tried overnight too to give it time to gather data). It's intermittent and mostly doesn't connect at all. inside or out.

The EPO.bin file is dated today.

Functions like "where am I" have not worked - I only receive the "wait for GPS" message. I've tried to use two map apps and thay also say wait for GPS. Am I missing something here about how GPS is supposed to work on this watch? Or am I being impatient? I've had the watch for five days so thought it would all be running reliably now. It feels like I'm not able to use the watch to its capacity at present.

Thanks again for all the help,

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 9940760

thank you for the feedback

sorry, my advice...send it back to the seller as defective

happy & safe sporting