This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New user feedback: suggested workouts, intervals, music and sailing

Just got a 265 and I'm mostly pretty happy with it, but have a few quibbles. Hope this is helpful feedback. (or maybe I'm missing some stuff) -

* The suggested workout feature is cool, but it'd be nice to be able to see them somewhere and go back to one. Also would be nice to be able to see the suggestion from the app in the morning - give me something to look forward to (or fear, lol) later in the day.

* I'm getting a lot of "Low Aerobic Shortage" in the training feedback, but it keeps suggesting workouts at a pace (13:30 min/mi) that I basically can't move at, since it's between my running and walking paces. I tried one and it was a sort of weird interval, where every 20 seconds it said "too fast" or "too slow." Sort of fun but too stressful!

* Why do intervals work they way they do? I was hoping I could set up an activity for my favorite interval, pick it and go for a run, but instead I need to do start run -> left button -> training -> workouts -> * pick interval -> Do Workout. Seems a LOT more complicated than it should be!

* The music all works great, exactly how I was hoping. Spotify + iTunes support is terrific. But tt seems like there must be some way to make it easier to turn the volume up or down during a run.

* The yoga activity is OK but it'd be nice if I could set it to record sequences as laps rather than individual poses. NBD, that's just how I've been using it, just looks a little funny in the reporting.

* My biggest single disappointment is the lack of support for one of my other sports, sailing. I get that Garmin wants to sell the Quatix models, but I run a lot more than I sail and I'm not crazy about the look of the Quatix. All I need is a basic race timer and a basic track recorder. There's an app that almost fits the bill, but it's a pretty expensive subscription.

Really appreciate how stable and solid everything is though.

Top Replies

• * My biggest single disappointment is the lack of support for one of my other sports, sailing. I get that Garmin wants to sell the Quatix models, but I run a lot more than I sail and…

All Replies

• * Why do intervals work they way they do? I was hoping I could set up an activity for my favorite interval, pick it and go for a run, but instead I need to do start run -> left button -> training -> workouts -> * pick interval -> Do Workout. Seems a LOT more complicated than it should be!

Create a specific workout on Garmin Connect (web is easiest) to your specific requirement, pull to the day when you want to do it in the calendar then when you choose the Run activity (as an example) it will ask of you want to do the workout scheduled. 

• * My biggest single disappointment is the lack of support for one of my other sports, sailing. I get that Garmin wants to sell the Quatix models, but I run a lot more than I sail and I'm not crazy about the look of the Quatix. All I need is a basic race timer and a basic track recorder. There's an app that almost fits the bill, but it's a pretty expensive subscription.

I don't sail, but if all you want is a GPS track and time you can just create an activity and do that I would think. I have a 965 and I think there are more apps on the IQ store for sailing just having a quick look 

• There's a couple out there, but no good start timers - yet, at least. I'm an occasional developer and I started looking at the SDK, I may end up making one myself! (but probably won't get to it) Hopefully this will change eventually!

• And yeah, I am going to try making a track activity. Not sure if it will output speed in knots but I'll give it a try.

• Maybe not bad as a workaround, but it does still seem like I should be able to say ok, I feel like doing intervals today, and not have to press 7 buttons (or log in to the web interface) to get there.

• I'll add to this all and say that it takes far too many button presses and scrolling to actually turn the GPS on for activities. That's before you then select the type of GPS option. Should be a quicker way to access. Yes you could always leave it on and not need to access it all the time but for battery saving reasons I'll turn it off if not using the watch for an activity. It would be good to be able to turn it on and off quicker.

•  Each Activity Profile has its own GPS type settings so you can individualise this per activity type profile. So I just select activity , then start and away one goes. I have multiple profiles set for various things each with the GPS type I prefers to use for each.

• * I'm getting a lot of "Low Aerobic Shortage" in the training feedback, but it keeps suggesting workouts at a pace (13:30 min/mi) that I basically can't move at, since it's between my running and walking paces. I tried one and it was a sort of weird interval, where every 20 seconds it said "too fast" or "too slow." Sort of fun but too stressful!

Make sure you configure your Max HR correctly. I think yours is set too low.

Then run at <80% of Max HR for low Aerobic load.