Is running lactate threshold detection working?

Hi there,

Some time ago, running lactate threshold detection was not working on this watch... then on some firmware update (I don't remember which one) it was fixed and my watch was regurlarly detecting my running lactate threshold on intense workouts.

But I am not getting any new running lactate threshold anymore for more than a month, and I am doing some awesomely intense workouts that should trigger new detections.

Is your watch detecting running lactate thresholds lately or is only failing to me? I can live without that feature, but I am curious why now is not working again...

BTW I always use a chest strap when doing running activities...

Another thing that I've noticed, is that now OHR light is always on even when I am using a chest strap... Before, OHR was off while chest strap was connected... Probably unrelated, but I find it strange.

Best,
   Kurt.-

• Check if it's on : garmin connect/ watch/ user profile/ hr zones and power zones/ automatic detection, set both option :ON.

It's totally fine if you don't get a new LT every run or so, at the beginning you get a lot of new LT, then less frequently also based on your training, if You do a lot of zone 2 is less probably than you'll get notified with a new LT pace, but don't worry, yesterday I did some zone 4/5 after 30min of zone 2 and get a new LT.

If You feel like something's wrong, turn off the 2 options of auto detection mentioned above for a week or so then back on, should help, In my case after few weeks I also got a new MaxHr after being stuck for 1.5 Y with the same...(been using a chest strap for 8months).

• try to lower your HR max detected in settings and give it a go. LTHR was for long undetected for me until i dropped hr max as per advice of others. then it worked 

• I had to lower the max HR to get the Garmin guided LTHR test to work, otherwise it reported 'no threshold detected' It has never auto detected my LTHR

• Last beta 19.13 gives a possibility to switch off the ohrs if you wear an external sensor. 

And yes, LTHR detection works, I get it every week if i do my intervals.

• I thought switching off the OHR was the default behavior if using an external sensor. So before the beta it would still be on, but just not recording?

• OHR being always on was added in one of the latest fw versions. Before that it was always off, if an external sensor was being used. After the latest beta an option will be given to the user to choose which mode to use.

• The question is, when would be beneficial to switch from the chest strap to OHR to improve our readings?

• I can't imagine any scenario where this would be necessary. The external sensor, by its operating principle, gives more accurate readings. It would be better to set an alarm if the external sensor stops working, but not replace the data in any case. The “improvement” proposed by Garmin once again shows that now people who are far from sports work there.

• I lowered mine but the watch didn't detect new max HR, neither LT, I needed to do a complete reset to default to the watch and erase everything, and now today my v2max changed since 6 months of not changed at all

• I don't have experience with it, but apparently sometimes the HRM can drop out / lose signal. Apart from that the HRM should almost always be more accurate and get preference.

It's nice that they are innovating and adding features, even if it's one that I don't think many people would use? It must be difficult to try and keep everyone happy. My preference would be to only auto switch over to OHR if the HRM fails, with a warning like suggested. That way you don't have the extra battery drain of using both at the same time.