Heart rate detection takes several minutes to lock

Im running the latest stable firmware but had this issue for a few releases over the last few months (NEVER before 2024 releases).

In any sort of activity, very often (but not 100%) of the time it takes 5-10 minutes before it locks onto my HR and begins tracking it.  Note this is both with a chest strap (Polar H10) and the wrist based.

The HR starts, reads low then suddenly jumps to correct.

This example is yesterday using a Polar H10 (wet contacts, new battery, displays OK on the polar and Strava app from the start).

20 mins later i changed to another machine and went back to the wrist based HR and got the same:

Im seeing this a lot but not all the time.  Its always 5-10 mins before locking using chest or wrist HR.  In additional to chest HR sometimes drops low and stops responding 45-50 mins into a run.

I never saw this behaviour prior to the last few firmware updates.

Any idea whats going wrong here?

• Same here.

The first 7-8 minutes are much below the actual HR.

It seems like some king of algorithm is caping the measurement.

The are several complaints about this for other models that share the same sensor 955 965... It would be good to hear from Garmin what they have to say about this.

• Got  some times (rare) the opposite wrong measurement - first -  too high and in 6-8 min it jumps to the right value and remains ok. It comes with a 17.xx firmware as a OHRS and a belt begun to work simultan.

My speculations about that and other bugs -  the old - "working" developer team is gone/ was gone. The new one tries to do something and we have to live with the results... A very sad development... 

• Having same issue after installing 19.xx -19.12 on running activities using a chest strap as I always do. HR seems to be lower then usual and a bit off with some gaps and flat lines specially.in the first 5-10 min. Though it could be something wrong with the strap but changed batteries and strap and problem persists 

• Try turning the 'auto switch hr' feature off. It should then only use the strap.

I've heard the optical hr lights stay on even when using a strap, probably due to this feature and also for Garmin pay security. Turning the optical sensor off when using a strap would be my choice. And for securing the wallet they could just ask for the PIN again when you want to use the wallet, which I think is already the way it works if you take the watch off.

• There's an option to disable dynamic HR in beta 19.13. After first run it seems to be back to normal, OHR turning off and more consistent readings