Training status strained, HRV unbalanced/low while values are average - Forerunner 255 and zone 2 training/age

I've worn this FR 255 for almost a year now and was quite happy with it, until it started to show training status "strained" all the time.

This started in June and I would see "strained" for like a full week while feeling no different than before and training just like before. Haven't changed my training schedule (still 80/20), no life style changes. I sleep 8 hours every night without fail. In recent months, I would get this strained status at least 6-10 days out of each month. The actual HRV values haven't changed much at all, we are talking a drop from 51 to like 50 or 49 ms. All still within the normal average range for my age group.

So I've checked for possible reasons and try to understand this better - there are hundreds of posts from people discussing this already - and I learned that it is tied to the HRV and sleep quality (as well as stress levels). There is a certain personal base value for your HRV that will adjust slowly over time (see Garmin articles about HRV). So now the watch has my HRV status as "unbalanced" or "low" rather frequently and this appears to coincide with my strained status. All the while, the actual values haven't changed more than 1-2 ms and I feel like I'm getting fitter and fitter. My 4x4 VO2 max runs certainly are becoming a lot easier.

I can't help but feel that this is just one of these odd algorithm gaps people like me seem to fall into when using Garmin. By people like me I mean the following:

- fit and healthy older females (>50)

- average HRV values

- average VO2 max

- daily zone 2 trainings, swimming and yoga, 3x strength training per week, but only one high aerobic training (80/20) per week

- slightly overweight

So for some reason the algo thinks I should do more high intensity training while simultaneously telling me that I train too much (at zone 2 levels) and need to recover more.

It's weird and very confusing.

Anyone else experience this and wonder what can be done about it?

Seems to me that it is common knowledge out there in 2024 that zone 2 training will improve VO2 max and is healthy, but somehow my Garmin device is still trying to have me do more HIIT. Why is it trying to define my training goals for me? Why can I not set training goals that are appropriate for my body and age and have my device judge my performance based on these? Why does my watch feel like a 20 year old gym bro who tells me to just "train harder"?

• zone 2 training will improve VO2 max

Nope. You _may_ improve your VO²max doing exercises in Z4-Z5 only.  Minimum once a week. And once a week LTHR margin - Z3-Z4. Instead of Z2, I would recommend long Z1 (margin to Z2) activities - 60-90 min.

• You read all of my post above and this is what you feel you wanted to respond to me...?

Well, what can I say. Have a nice life.

• It is quite common that HRV values drop a bit during winterr time, dropping out of the band to get strained training status. Remember the watch is made for the average customer, and we are all different. Enjoy the numbers you get from the watch, and take the training analysis with a big grain of salt. 

• Exactly, I am questioning the validity of this HRV band or 'normal range' that Garmin is working with and I am questioning who the watches are actually made for. Oura, to name just one example, has an HRV average range between 30 and 40 ms for women of my age bracket.

If I wore a Oura ring, I would be considered well above average with my 47-52 ms. However, Garmin considers these values to be too low in December 2023. As a consequence, it thinks I need more rest, while simultaneously telling me I need to incorporate more HIIT/VO2 max training (which I don't want to do, because my 1 high intensity run per week is plenty enough for my training goals). 

HRV is also very personal and ranges very broad. So if the personal base value Garmin calculates for you is adjusted over time, clearly this isn't happening fast enough on a Garmin watch - at least not fast enough for an average older person during winter.

Considering that older people tend to have a lower HRV and can still be very fit, I'm just wondering if Garmin's algos are a good fit for older folks like me. You know, not older athletes or marathon runners, but normal folk over 50 who stay fit with strength training, zone 2, bit of VO2 max training and lots of yoga.

If I'm not the target group I just want to know and not be told I'm strained when I am actually fit, healthy and thriving. If I'm part of the target demographic, why can I not adjust my settings so they fit me?

• This technology is still quite new, and I think the algorithms and sensor accuracy will improve over the next few years. At the level it is now (all brands, not only Garmin), you can not trust the advice from the watch 100 percent. The HRV band concept fails for cases like pregnancy, monthly period, and being sick. And for some people, even winter season.

• Hi.  I went looking for information on HRV with my experience as of late, being similar to yours.  Except, I started out with a (very) high HRV and have been dropping to NEAR my old Fitbit HRV averages were.  I too, seem to read conflicting information…I’m training too hard but I need to do runs at tempos I have seen since my 30’s or 40’s.  I would not say I’m in an an excellent fitness state (I have a life event that may impact my ability to do more) but I’m doing well.  I just decided recently, to ignore the suggested workouts unless they coincide with what I think I want to run.  I am going to see if my 255 will adjust my HRV upper and lower limits now that I have dropped.  if not, I may only use that measure as a reference point for how I might be feeling in the morning.  I am posting to your thread, without an answer; I’m no expert…I merely wanted to share that I am experiencing a somewhat similar situation.  But my 255 and the Garmin app is way better than what I was getting from my Fitbit.  From one user to another, I appreciate you sharing your experience.  It helps me not be too frustrated by what I have been seeing.  Thanks.