This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR255 heart rate monitor issues

The heart rate monitor records a very low heart rate when working out. At times it will jump to a proper rate during the workout. In addition the HRV status will show gaps with nothing registering during the night. 

very disappointed with this issue which seems to be on going. 

What do I need to do to get this resolved once and for all. Is this a software issue or a defective watch.  

• - my watch has no issue registering HRV at night without gap. Not sure what the problem could be.

- the infrared HR sensor of my FR255 doesn't work well either. It's ok when I go hiking outside (it reacts well and fast ot HR changes), but at the gym and for anything else I find the reliability very low. In particular, same as you, incoherent low heart rate when exercising. I bought an HRM-Dual a week after getting the watch and problem solved, the chest strap is awesome. $50 on Amazon.

if you read this, I forgot to run your light test at the gym, will do so over the w/e.

• The Garmin optical heart rate sensors are very weak and not to compare to an Appleawatch sensor.

But for resting heart rates at sleep is the Garmin optical heart rate sensor good enough. Very good.It needs to be tight on your arm.

For exercising you need a heart rate strap, the optical heart rate sensor in that case is inaccurate.

• It depends on the type of exercise, and how accurate heart rate data you need. I have a chest strap, but I do most of my exercises without it.

• I tried your ruse of putting my watch in the dark to see if the IR sensor works better and.... no improvement. Still all wrong. Was worth a try !

• Till a last FW update i wore an external strap only  for intervals or sprints. Today i was shocked as i did a recovery run.  My pulse was incredibly high (shown by fr255m) 10 min after starting - 140 on 8 min /km but i feel that was wrong. And really 2 minutes later my pulse fell down to 111 and after that it was realistic.