This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Readiness on 255

According to DesFit on his 265 review on youtube garmin told him training readiness is not coming to the 255, only the 265 is getting it in the 2xx line, so the 9 month old 255 is already being left behind in terms of features. The 255 is the first garmin watch I buy, is this what I should expect from Garmin?

• Good point about Training Readiness being just a bar a number. Personally, I find that RHR, HRV/Body Battery, Acute Load and Sleep Hours are the most important metrics to gauge Training/Race Readiness, and the 245/255 has all of these.

That said, it is annoying that Garmin will release firmware/updates for the 255 that omits a simple bar and number to create price differentiation.

• Look at Apple. 
    Garmin releases just software features,

The Garmin hardware is cheap: bodycase and screen glas.

And what is with new garmin hardware  features:

• ECG
    • wireless charging 
    • new connector
    • microfon/ speaker

Still missing. 

Garmins portfolio with 100 different watches is a mess. 

• I don't really see the Apple watch as an alternative to the 255. I guess it is more in line with the -65 watches with amoled display and short battery life. 

• Look at Apples market share and Garmins market share. 
    Apple clearly targets Garmin with watchOS 9!

Heart Zones etc. 

i don’t believe Apple will stop there…

Garmin should pray that Apple don’t focus on more sport metrics.

Garmin should release less watches, polish their hardware and Software (Updates). 

• Yeah this is the wrong comparison, I have had 2 Apple Watches and always go back to garmin watch. Forerunner does not need a Microphone wireless charging, new connector, ECG 

apple needs many things garmin has! 

As for software I don’t think garmin can restructure itself to have a software to rule them all but I’m simply asking for watches that are in the same class to have same software in this case 255m vs 265. Yes the screen is different and if they demand extra $50 that’s fine too. 

• In this case the new thing should be amoled touch display they charge extra $50 over 255m not a limited software future on 255m 

• Have you seen where Garmin's market share is headed?
    You underestimate what people have gotten used to:
    - ECG
    - Charging stations on which they can simply put the watch and that becomes more important in times of Amoled and shorter battery life. Garmin's cables and their connector are absolutely annoying -> just crap!)
    - Microphone:
    phone calls via watch-> smartphone
    (Some even desperately want a standalone Garmin with LTE! )

For Apple it will definitely be easier to focus watchOS on sports.
    I bet Garmin is already praying that there are not many triathletes etc. at Apple headquarters.

Fact is:
    The whole market is moving.
    Many buyers who used to buy a Garmin, Polar, etc. have ended up with Apple. Except for the triathlon niche.
    The normal runner gets along well with AW.

And to put a FR 265 priced against the AW8. I think that is an extreme mistake!
    It may be that Garmin will earn more with such prices, but their market share will fall even further back.

I know people who used to NEVER wear watches and now guess what is dangling from their wrist now: AW.

I bet:

In a few years there will ONLY be Amoled at Garmin!
    MIP display is dead.

Maybe then only in the very cheap Garmin watches MIP display.
    I like MIP, but maybe they should have done more research and development: better resolution.

• While i do agree that a lot of people are buying Apple Watches, most of those people don't even do any sports. Garmin Watches are Sports watches, not Smartwatches to read your emails and make phone calls... AW are terrible to use while doing sports! On Garmin watches you can download a custom Data Field, just add it to the native running workout anywhere and it just works! AW are a App for everything, nothing works together... While it's good for people who want to call and sends messages on there Wrist, it basically does things like your phone, but less efficient, while Garmin Watches do things your Phone wont do.

• Probably not. But with that same mindset, we also don't really need a watch to exercise. At worst, a stopwatch is enough ;)