This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Low HR readings during running activity?

Hi

I just finished marathon last week and noticed strange drop of my HR readings during workout.

I usually maintain 160~180 bpm while running, but after running for 2 hours, HR went below 140 and stayed there for about 15 minutes.

After watch recovered from strange HR readings, it happened again even though I didn't walked.

It also happend yesterday at the beginning of a 10K race. HR reading stayed between 160~170 bpm for the initial 15 minutes

and then suddenly went all the way up to 190 bpm which I felt like a correct one.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Some says an auto pause option could cause this but I'm not sure.

• All,

If you have concerns with the heart rate readings from your watch, please see the link below for troubleshooting:

The Heart Rate Sensor on My Garmin Watch Is Not Accurate

Specifically mentioned here is troubleshooting for users who may experience cadence lock or a low heart rate reading at the beginning of an activity.

• During a 5k parkrun this weekend, I received abnormally low HR readings. It averaged 78bpm when a run at that exertion level normally averages +/-155bpm. Removing the watch from the wrist, wiping the sensor, pausing the activity, all made no difference. It was far from cold, +20°C.

Runs subsequent to that one have been recorded correctly with realistic HR readings.

Software v14.13

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/10443983384

• Same here,

tried all the troubleshooting, but no luck
    especially on the easyruns, where it should be +/- 125 ...

Running cadence +/- 175: heart rate shows lower values way, so not 'cadence lock' issue.

Took the watch off (bpm was > 150), after that values way too low

Did nothing: values way too high

• It happens on a regular basis. Here is another one, during a climbing part in backcountry skiing.
    There is no way my heart rate is that low while climbing. There is a clear drop at 42 minutes from 160+ bpm to 80-120 bpm, without reason. I was still climbing, and it was not easy.

• Wrist based heart rate logging is never 100 percent trustworthy. If heart rate logging is important for some of your workouts, I recommend getting a chest strap for the purpose. 

• Yeah thank you, we all know that already...
    We are here talking about major failures, not 10% margin error.

• But when wrist based heart logging loses track of the signal, it is quite common that it fails by getting double or half signal value, which is significantly wrong. It can also sometimes lock on to the cadence. My wrist based HR is fairly good most of the time, but sometimes completely out. That is the nature of the technology used. It can also happen to the chest straps, but it is a lot less common. 

• Again, I think everybody in this thread is perfectly aware of this.
    I have been using a Coros Pace 2 for a long time, with a less advanced HR sensor, without these kind of failure.
    Finally, many of us do find the FR255 way less accurate since 13.21 firmware.
    Knowing that every new firmware release currently brings more bugs than it solves, I tend to think a regression might have occured.

• After 42 minutes, so you cold weather cannot be blamed.

• Stuff like this never happened to me on the older sensor (245). The 255 is clearly buggy as can be seen by posts in this forum, so it is not hard to imagine that the algorithms also have bugs in them.