Battery Drain

Previous questions directed me to a locked thread.  

My 255 was at 100%. I went to an event for 1:30.  When I got home I was at 82%. It kept dropping rapidly.   I restarted the watch which seemed to get it out of its funk, but what if it had been during a race? I got the Garmin after my Apple did this during a couple of races.  

Is there a fix?

• So I worked with Garmin Product Support on this issue a month ago or more...sent files, pictures, etc....never had confirmation of the problem or solution. But, I know when the problem occurs, can replicate it, and therefore just avoid it. I was surprised to hear that Garmin had not found any answers and then locked the previous thread. So here's what caused it for me - when I used Garmin Connect Mobile (GCM) to change settings on the watch. At first, I thought it might have been changing the GPS settings this way but then I replicated the problem by adding/changing data screens via GCM. So, I now just change the settings in the watch itself and don't have the issue any more. And the FW didn't matter...I can replicate it even now using 12.27. Is it Garmin's problem, or maybe my phone or maybe BT sync? I don't know but the solution is to change all settings using the watch itself, not GCM. Hope that helps you.

• Thank you.   While it doesn’t make sense it might be the answer.  I do change things on the app whenever I can.  Changing them on the watch scares me; I’m new to Garmin and have made errors trying to learn their screens and buttons.  

thanks. 

• I think it does make sense...the GCM connection to watch gets 'stuck' and adds significantly to power consumption. Why don't you try to replicate by using GCM to add a data screen to an activity? Then, monitor the battery level for the next 12 hours or so. See what happens...if problem occurs, reset watch (hold Light button for 15 secs or so until power shuts off, then power back on), then add another data screen to same activity using only the watch to do it. I think you'll see the difference. In any case, resetting the watch as I described should stop the rapid battery drain issue if you don't mess with it afterwards ie if you do this before a race or workout.

• So  what is the normal battery consumption for casual usage per day, is ~12% make sense? (No pulse ox and no workout)

• 6% maybe. 12 with 3 hours of activity

• Mine can take 5-6% only for sleep tracking without pulse ox, i just bought 7days ago, is it bcs of the software algorithm that need to record more data for the first time usage?or bcs of too detail  type of watch face that i used?

• I also bought the watch (255 Music) recently, and charged it to 100 percent. It was down to around 30 percent after 9 days of use, with 1-2 hours of indoors training recorded daily. I run a rather simple watch face, and bluetooth mostly off, but quite a lot of playing with configuration changes and setup. 

• Mine does 2-3% for sleep tracking without pulse ox. I have do not disturb active during sleep, so the back light stays always off and a stock garmin watchface (analog watchface) with seconds always active.

• Could be watchface. My quatro watchface is set to show time only whithout gesture, so not needeng to update lcd often. This is always saving battery. During night especially.

• Other than the one time losing nearly 20% over a few hours the problem has not reappeared.  That time was standing around, no recording of activity, nothing.   Other days I’m running for 3 or 4 hours, recording, sometimes using music and it drops a few percent.  Whatever the glitch was, it is corrected.