This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 255: Wrong stride length for outdoor run when paired with RD Pod

I’m using a Forerunner 255 in combination with an RD pod and I noticed the stride length is not recorders correctly. On my latest 2 runs, it shows an average of 0,66m, where I’m typically way over 1m. 

I see the same issue being reported for the Forerunner 245 and 955. Is there a solution for this? Little frustrating to use the RD pod for more data, whilst the stride length from the watch itself is more accurate…

Thanks for the feedback & help. 

• I have this same problem with FR255 and RD pod, both new. My stride length is about 1 m, and pod shows wrong values always way under the real stride length, average per run ranging from 0,17 m to 0,75 m. Several runs with faulty values.

• All-

Thank you for your participation in this forum thread. So that I may assist you further, please reply with the following:

1. May we, if necessary, have permission to email you?
    2. May we, if necessary, have permission to view/access your Garmin Connect account?
    3. In what country do you live?
  • Hi - here you go!

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Netherlands
  • Hi Kevin,

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Finland

• The stride length/vertical ratio have not been recorded for my last two runs, using FR255 and RD pod. Other RD metrics are recorded. I've used the pod for almost two years without an issue until now. 

1. Yes. RD pod/FR255

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. UK

• Connect says the status for my pod is 'OK' and I've been running FR firmware v11.12 for a couple of weeks without a problem. 

• I did a couple of more runs and noticed a few things. 

Biggest chance of the RD pod to work (at least initially) is to connect it to the watch at the very last minute, when the running activity is already selected. 

During runs in which I maintained a continuous and steady pace, the stride length was recorded correctly. 

During runs on which I walked for a bit to recover, the stride length is off from the moment you start running again (after the walking). It then records a stride length of about half of the expected value. 

Any similar observations from other people?

• Yeah, I have a similar observation. I haven't done any thorough research, but on my most recent run I stopped at traffic lights, and after I started running again, stride length (and all related running dynamics) went SNAFU for a couple of minutes.

• Hi Kevin:

1. Yes

2. Yes.

3. Poland.

My last run https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9370766501 :

walking - 0,63 stride

run - 0,43 stride.

• I've just come across this same issue, also using the RD pod. In my run this morning my stride length for the entire run was around 0.28m. This is only the 2nd time I've used the RD pod, on my 1st run it gave similar readings for the 1st quarter of a mile or so before seeming to correct itself.

Garmin-Kevin, in response to your post;

1- Yes

2- Yes

3 - UK