This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 255 Series Button Issues

Hello,

I have a new Forerunner 255 46mm. The 3 buttons on the left hand side of the watch, and the activity button feel like firm, high quality, single press buttons. However the back button feels like a 2 step button, is soft on pressing and doesn't have the nice 'clicky' feel that the others have. Is this by design or manufacturing fault? 

Thanks 

• the replacement arrived and it's even worse!

• Common problem on both 255 and 955. Could happen to any combination of buttons, right or left. I had the problem on my 955 and returned it. Bought a 255 Music and still have button problems (double-click) but will live with it as long as they are functional. Seems like a manufacturing defect/quality issue. Easy enough to replace watch through vendors or Garmin but you may end up with the same type of problem with the next watch.

• I sold my forerunner 245 and I am  happy with the upgrade to 255s.

But the buttons feel very wrong in comparison to 245. Like double click and every button different bad. I returned it and bought another at Amazon marketplace. Same problem, now the up button is bad and the down button is acceptable.

I don't want to return it again and face the same. How long can I wait to return it? Can I return it in 6 months to Garmin or to Amazon to solve that? I read that this might be a initial problem, that might be better in some months?

• I Had the same issue:
    Start and back buttons have a longer run, You have really to push them through to make them doing their job. Down button instead has a two step release, like a doubleclick.

Fun part when I sent back the watch to garmin for checking and eventually repair it arrives back to me without any repair action or substitution because it was fully functional.
    I must say I am really disappointed by the Garmin customer service but especially the quality of a sportwatch of 350 euro.

Anyone else had the same experience or has suggestion?

• I’ve gotta stop reading these forums as I really want to upgrade my F6 (for the new features and lighter watch) but the negative experiences are putting a real dampener on my enthusiasm. Going to wait a couple of months until Garmin gets through a few manufacturing cycles and hopefully sorts out these issues.  

• i checked 8 watches 255(s) (music)! 8! all of them had terrible buttons. the build quality is just trash, but garmin doesnt care about it...what a joke for a 350€ watch. every chinese smartwatch brand I checked in the local shops have perfect buttons. its ridiculous!

• My back Button was different then the other buttons when I first got it. But now after a month o use it's starting to get stuck when pressing it and usually have to press it hard or multiple times...

• A little update for my case.
    Garmin customer support accept to receive again back my watch for evaluation.
    But if they will declare that is fully functional again I will have to pay (I guess shipment and working hours).

I am definitely quite upset about this. I bought the watch directly from Garmin site and I realized now would have been better waiting for amazon.

• So i just bought a new 255 and my 2 right buttons also feel wrong. They take way more effort to press, with the same squishyness and double step feel others have mentioned. I have had to press stop twice a few times because the first time didnt register. Pretty annoying. Garmin offered to replace it but reading this thread it seems like it may not matter that much, I might get a worse one.  You'd think after this many years of making watches they knew how.

• The two right buttons are two-step buttons, ready to be programmed if needed by developers. So, it is not a hardware issue. Garmin SDK supports two-step buttons like these ones. Forerunner 235 had this kind of buttons and also used them with the original firmware,