This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 245: Wrong stride length for outdoor run when paired with RD Pod

Hi all.  Lurker looking for some possible answers or fixes to why my RD Pod metrics, mainly the stride length and avg vert osc, is totally bonkers with the 9.00 and 9.56beta software.  I've had absolutely no issues with any metrics from the Pod until those updates.  My stride length is completely wrong.  Which then affects the avg vert oscillation, showing me in the high 30s+.  Um, no. 

I've changed the Pod battery, deleted it from watch, resync'd it, etc.  Reset watch...nothing worked.  Rolling back to 8.60 ver software totally fixes the issues.  I've submitted .fit files to the Garmin beta crew (both 9.00 and 9.56 files) hoping they can find something in the data. 

Anyone else seeing any weird Pod #s with the latest software?

Cheers. 

• I noticed the same issue since 9.0 and 9.56. Before 9.0 it would also show in your activities both the FR245 and the RD Pod but now it's just the FR245.

• Yup, noticed that as well. That was one way I knew if we were back to a properly functioning Pod, if it also shown in the activity. If you can, submit some fit files to that beta email. Hopefully they can get this sorted. 

• Same boat with my FR245 and RD Pod since update to v9.00 and now v9.56 as well. Prior to v9.00 (8.30 for me), my stride length was fine throughout my entire activity. Now I get these weird "drops" during my run activity where my SL appears fine for a while, drops to what looks like a walking SL for some time (I'm not walking), then returns to a normal running SL. This often happens at the beginning of a run, but does occur in the middle as well and can range from 30sec to several minutes in duration. Highlighted an example below from ~8:00-16:00min. I have also noticed the RD Pod is not listed/pictured on the Connect activity webpage where it used to be seen with my FR245, even though the metrics are included. New battery and re-pairing did not resolve.

• The first couple minutes of my run today my stride length was over 3.5m!! That's some stride I have :)  It then proceeded to fluctuate between 0.3m and 1.7m the rest of my run. My average SL on an easy run should be about 1.1m. I've used the RD Pod for over a year and never had an issue until updating my FR245 to v9.00.

• Ha.  That's exactly the kind of stride fluctuation I would see also.  Just all over the place.  Luckily I had 2-3 old beta zip files in my downloads folder still and was able to roll back until I found that 8.60 worked as expected.  Not updating again until we get some confirmation this has been fixed.  Send some fit files to Garmin.  The more data they have with this "bug" the better.  Hopefully, we get some kind of fix soon.

• I have the same problem. Here is an extreme example

• Who want's to try the new beta and report back??  ;) 

• I just upgraded my Forerunner 245M from 9.00 to 9.58.  I went out for a short 1/4 mile run since today is my rest day.  I am happy to report that the stride length, and thus, vertical ratio seemed to be back up and working.  Since the upgrade to 9.00, my stride length was always showing around 0.5 or 0.55m, which is WAY off.  Today with 9.58, it was back over 1.00m, and seemed to be about right for the slow pace I ran.  

Also, the pod now shows up in Connect as an accessory like it used to.  So for me, I think it may have been fixed.  Tomorrow I have a long run and will confirm that it is indeed fixed.

• Updated my FR245 from v9.56 to v9.58, but the RD Pod stride length issue still persists for me. Highlighted what should be a "normal" SL for me during an easy run. Last week I also used another RD Pod from a friend (she does not have a SL issue) but I still had the same issue, so for me this confirms that it's a firmware issue, not a hardware (RD Pod) issue.

• Damn.  Was hoping to hear/see some better results with this update.  Guess I'll stick to 8.60 for now.  Thanks for giving it a go.