This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

(Known Issue) GPS Recorded Track Shifted by FAR with Respect to the Map

I had a weird issue today. It seems that Garmin put my recorded activity track over 300m to the left with respect to where I in fact actually ran. This is the screenshot I got from this activity. It never happened before. Of course, the GPS signal was acquired prior to starting the activity. Is there a way to solve it?

• The issue is already acknowledged. It does not make sense for people to report it all over again and again. Instead, I would rather advise all of you to perform the suggested workaround that I marked as the answer. It worked for me. After that my activity tracked flawlessly and CPE says current and stays current even after syncing with garmin. Issue solved.

• The problem seems to be solved for me today. My run yesterday was off by almost 300m, today everything was as accurate as ever. CPE is now showing as current as well. I assume that a small update was done via the Connect app.

• Iys got even worse for me. Every single metric is off. Although I do like the idea of 232km of elevation gain! Its also given me a sub 6min pb for 1 mile. The distance is overstated by about 1.8miles and location is out by over a mile in a couple of places

• The problem seems also solved for me today! 1st and 2nd of Jan GPS was shifted but today it worked like a charm with no specific workaround. I just went out for a run like I did earlier days (without waiting long for GPS autofix). The recorded was perfect!

• more than just a shift on my APAC FR245. GPS is jumping around after about 20 minutes into a run. 

Besides, I don't see the CPE information page on firmware 5.50. It used to be the last page on System -> About (after bluetooth MAC address). Now there is nothing to scroll to after MAC.

• My watch is incorrectly tracking my gps position and the pace and distance is erratic.  Is there a fix.  Problem appeared after 31st December

• Some says that Garmin certificate is out of date and som blame the Sony GPS chip. If it is the Chip I'm worry.

• This is a known issue that appeared 2021/01/01. See this support article (which Garmin promises to update): support.garmin.com/.../

I recommend starting a test activity some minutes before you plan to start a real one. When the distance on the test activity stops changing, your GPS has "soaked"; you can delete the test and start recording your real activity.

• My GPS tracking from Garmin Coach activities are massively wrong...out my tens of km and clearly impossible.  Got my FR245 for Christmas and of the 3 activities I have done so far only my dog walk tracked correctly.  Did a 10k Easy Long Run today and used Strava on my iphone to compare the tracking...   
    I think it’s obvious which one is right.  Should I return my watch or wait for software fix?  It’s currently on v5.50, last page of my System > About menu says CPE: Current

• Fix !!!

For me tested with long GPS fixing

Affecting Garmin, Polar & Suunto Watches (Sony GPS)

https://mightygadget.co.uk/garmin-gps-accuracy-issue-caused-by-expired-cpe-january-2021/

[Update 3rd of January 2021] Fix rolled out for Garmin
    It now looks like Garmin have pushed the CPE file update to their users, if you have phone syncing on, this should update automatically. You can also manually update via Garmin Connect
    If you check System > About and CPE and it shows expired, the update has not occurred. If you can't get the update for whatever reason, you can still leave the watch for 5 minutes or so tracking an activity to try and let it update it self.
    The update will have been provided by Sony, so other brands affected by this problem will likely be updating currently, or soon.

[Update] Official Garmin response
    Please be aware that we are aware of the serious GPS issue that 2021 has brought upon the Fenix 6 series watches and we are investigating reports. The issue seems to be impacting not only Garmin but some of our competitors too.
    On your watch, if you go to System > About and CPE shows Expired, please give 5 full minutes outdoors with no movement to see if your CPE file will update for you to CURRENT.
    Even if this doesn't fix the CPE you should allow the watch to GPS soak to receive a full satellite fix. This means to wait for an additional 2-5 minutes after the device reads GPS ready.