This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Beta Forerunner 245 Series 5.09 available!

245 Download

245 M Download

Notes:

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.09:

• Added support for the Track Run activity, which allows you to record outdoor track data, including lap splits and distance in meters, on a standard shape 400m track.
  • Added support for Improved Recovery Time, which takes your stress, sleep, relaxation, and physical activity into consideration.
  • Improved optical heart rate performance.
  • Added a Save Location option to the Navigation menu.
  • Updated the look of the Alarm screen.
  • Updated the main workout data screen to indicate High, Low, or In Range for the current target.
  • Various other improvements and bug fixes.

Installation Instructions

1. Connect your Forerunner 245 Music to your computer using the USB cable.
  2. Download and unzip Forerunner245M_509Beta.zip. Place the GUPDATE.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  3. From the RemoteSW folder, copy the GUP3079.GCD file and the 006B310708.GCD file into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder on your device.
  4. Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the watch, and wait for the update to finish.
  5. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, place the GUPDATE-500.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder and rename GUPDATE-500.GCD to GUPDATE.GCD. Place the GUP3079-504.GCD file from RemoteSW\Downgrades into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder on your device and rename the file to GUP3079.GCD. Place the 006B310708-440.GCD file from RemoteSW\Downgrades into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder and rename the file to 006B310708.GCD. Disconnect the device to install. NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
  • Given that Daily Suggested Workouts are in the changelog for the respective update on the 945, but not in this changelog for the 245, I am assuming this feature will not be coming to the 245. That's a bit of a bummer, was looking forward to that after DC Rainmaker announced that the new software features of the 745 would also be coming to the 245/945/F6. At least we're getting the Track Run activity and the Improved Recovery Time, so that's something!

• Yeah, it's kinda sad the Daily Suggested Workouts aren't coming to the FR245 while it's a watch focused towards runners... 

Also, the lack of the new improved sleep tracking is a bummer.

• Some first experiences with the update: It's mostly fine, I did my morning run with it and tracking worked as expected. I did not notice any issues with the optical HR sensor, but then again it also worked fine for me before. 

I did not get any sleep tracking with this update during the first night, neither after a sync in Garmin Connect nor on device. Will continue to monitor that.

@Mr_BananaPants: The new improved sleep tracking was also not present in the corresponding update of the 945, so I still have hope that the on device sleep tracking is coming to the 245.

• Yes, hope you correct. Don't mind missing out on Daily Suggested Workouts if I get proper sleep tracking.

• Garmin has confirmed the improved sleep tracking will come to the 945 later this year (the 745 also has it which is cheaper) but the 245 won't get it.

• Firstbeat has a bunch of sleep tracking features namely Sleep Detection, Sleep Analysis, Sleep Quality Assessment and Sleep Coach. Judging by how the 245 gets updates, one would assume that the 245 will at least get Sleep Detection (with the offline widget) and maybe even Sleep Analysis. Things like Sleep Quality Assessment will be reserved for the 945 and Sleep Coach for the Fenix.

• We will see... but it could be that Garmin thinks that only people who can afford a 500,- watch want to sleep. The same as nobody with a vivoactive, venu or lower forerunner devices gets the idea to make a hike. It seems to be also a professional athlete feature/privilege.... 

I really hope to get the sleep feature direct on my FR245. In the new beta we gets the improved recovery time based on sleep but the sleep is very sad on garmin devices (it seems a bit better with the new sleep calculation on the Fenix watches). With a solid sleep algorithm the improved recovery time calculation would be great but with the current system all things will be wrong... 

(last night i had such a night... awake for hours, played around on the watch... but the garmin app says 0 awake minutes... yes!!!!!).

• I found an issue and reverted to the last public already. 

When the phone is out of range, the watch tries to connect a new phone and shows the screen with the digits for activating the watch in garmin connect. Also while a workout, this screen was there sometimes because the phone was not connected.

• Garmin confirmed to DCRainmaker which you can find on his blog about the update or in a video he made about it.