This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HELP: FR 245M with no GPS signal

Hi there,

I have a FR 245M and since Thursday, it can no longer acquire any GPS signal : no GPS, no GPS+Glonass, no GPS+Galilleo. On the watch, the system settings say "GPS: 0.00" and "CPE: Missing".

I suspect it is linked to a botched auto install of GPS Software version 2.60.

I disconnected the watch from Garmin Express, I deleted the RemoteSW folder containing the CPE.BIN file then I synced the watch again with Garmin Express. At that point, it says that GPS Software version 2.60 is available but it fails to install it on the watch. I'm stuck and it sucks.

Any advice ?

Thank you for your help

Top Replies

• Do you receive any error messages when trying to install the GPS update through Express? If so, please respond with that. 

One other thing you can try is to access your Garmin folder while…

All Replies

• Do you receive any error messages when trying to install the GPS update through Express? If so, please respond with that. 

One other thing you can try is to access your Garmin folder while connected to the computer and deleting your .XML file. You will need to disconnect and power back on before reconnecting and trying the update again. 

• Hi Former Member, first of all thanks for your reply!

When I delete the RemoteSW folder containing the CPE.BIN file and then sync the watch again with Garmin Express, the GPS Software version 2.60 is available. I click accept, it skips from step 1 to "Update over" in French, when it used to send me an error message. Nevertheless, when I check the GPS version on the watch, it still displays "GPS: 0.00" and "CPE: Missing".

I tried deleting the .XML file, disconnecting, powering back and reconnecting but it does not solve anything unfortunately.

The Garmin France support told me it's a software issue and that I should use WebUpdater to re-apply the watch firmware as it is probably corrupt but alas, I am using Catalina on Mac OS and I can't run this software because it's not supported anymore.

Any idea what else I can try ?

• I put my watch on my balcony facing the sky for more 20+ minutes with the Run activity activated but it couldn't secure a GPS lock. Absolutely zero signal.

Besides using WebUpdater, is there any way to re-install the firmware on the watch? None of the reset, soft, hard and master actually worked. Do we have any idea when a new firmware will be released ?

• Please visit support.garmin.com to get in touch with your local support team as we'll likely need to get a replacement order setup for you. 

• No need Former Member : I was finally able to solve the issue on my own !

The solution was here on the forum (a huge thank you @aweatherall).

For people who end up in the same predicament:

1/ If you are on Mac OS Catalina or later, install https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ to be able to manually install files on the watch

2/ Follow this process forums.garmin.com/.../926505 : the file upgraded my watch from GPS 0.00 (while Garmin Express assured me 2.60 was installed!) to GPS 2.50.

At that point, the watch settings displayed "GPS: 2.50" and "CPE: Current".

Then, it took me 30 seconds to acquire a GPS lock. Good!

3/ Finally, I synced the watch with Garmin Express and got upgraded to "GPS: 2.60". Better!

• I have the same problem since today, no gps for me anymore :( any tip?