This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WiFi Issues with 245M and Lessons Learned

Thought I would share some lessons from my new FR245M.    First great watch,   love it.    BUT if you get the music you are going to need WiFi.    Here is what I learned.

1) If your route SSID uses WEP for Security.   It will not work.  At least for me.   It does not recognize the password.   Probably shouldn't use WEP anyway.

2)  When using a SSID you must make sure it is broadcasting.      I tried an SSID that was not broadcasting,  which you can setup a manually in connect and the test will be successful the first time.   But subsequent times the watch will not connect to the already saved network on the watch.     Spotify app on the watch cannot find the network even though it is on the watch in settings.     Once I set it to broadcasting.    Everything appears to work great!

So there are a couple of issues for Garmin to fix here.

- Recognize non-broadcasting WiFi

- Figure out why when accessing from Spotify why it didn't see the same networks in the watch settings.     

• You realize alphanumeric = letters and numbers, right?  But then your solution is letters only.  Confusing.

• Having the same issue with Amazon Music.  Connects to WiFi via add network on watch just fine, then I hit sync and it says no network found.  Tried open wifi with no password and ensured broadcasting turned on.

• fergal. 

• That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.  I'll try the hotspot solution and see if that works.  I've tried changing my router password to all letters as well as no password and same issue exists.  You can see what is happening here:

https://youtu.be/RQQIC29pfgw

• A soft reset fixed the issue thanks to Garmin tech support.  Hold the top left "light" button until the watch turns off.  Wait a minute, then power watch back on.

• It might also be the router from your home WIFI. If you google Vodafone Router and Garmin you´ll find several issues that sometimes these are just not compatible, for me unfortunately as well. The only way for me how it worked was to set the wifi with not password, which is long term not an option. What has worked for me as well is to use a second router as a repeater sending out a different SSID (which can also be WPA2 secured). 

• The vodafone router is definitely a pain - I tried to install some WiFi connected globes in my house, and was not able to do so given the extra layer of security the router keeps, and the un-configurability. I ended up buying a smart lighting system with a router hub so i didnt need to deal with it.

Assume this is the same. Bloody annoying though

• So far, I haven't been able to get my FR245M to connect to any secured wifi network. I've tried:

• Asus RT-AC87U router
    • Oneplus6 mobile hotspot
    • Huawei honor9 mobile hotspot
    • Huawei mate 20 pro mobile hotspot
    • MacBook pro, 2015 & 2017 models, both on Catalina
    • Multiple random wifi's at friends' houses

There seems to be various kinds of wifi connectivity issues with these Garmin devices. Based on the comments in this thread:

• Changing wifi password to alphanumerical works for some
    • Using a router of different brand works for others
    • And some are only able to connect to unsecured wifi's

Also, I'm assuming there's many (lucky) FR245M users with no wifi connectivity issues at all...

Would be interesting to hear Garmin's take on this. Do I have a defective device that should be replaced or is it just a "feature"?-) Ping Former Member (sorry Blake to drag you into this, but I've noticed you've been responsive on various questions on this forum).

Edit: forgot to mention that I have tried the soft-reset (long-press light key to switch device off), too...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to RM64

Unfortunately this has not resolved the issue for me. Disappointed

• Mine has completely stopped working since the last update. I had never had any trouble previously.  When trying to connect to a new connection or re-entering password (no special characters) it gives me a "Connection Failed" screen that will only go away if I do a soft reset.  I tried the phone hotspot with no security and it did the same thing.  I will have to get Garmin support to help with this one.