This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WiFi Issues with 245M and Lessons Learned

Thought I would share some lessons from my new FR245M.    First great watch,   love it.    BUT if you get the music you are going to need WiFi.    Here is what I learned.

1) If your route SSID uses WEP for Security.   It will not work.  At least for me.   It does not recognize the password.   Probably shouldn't use WEP anyway.

2)  When using a SSID you must make sure it is broadcasting.      I tried an SSID that was not broadcasting,  which you can setup a manually in connect and the test will be successful the first time.   But subsequent times the watch will not connect to the already saved network on the watch.     Spotify app on the watch cannot find the network even though it is on the watch in settings.     Once I set it to broadcasting.    Everything appears to work great!

So there are a couple of issues for Garmin to fix here.

- Recognize non-broadcasting WiFi

- Figure out why when accessing from Spotify why it didn't see the same networks in the watch settings.     

• Please see my solution above Slight smile

• Hi 

I have had the same issues as below with my brand new forerunner 245 music, spent all day, synced no problem downloaded app no problem but once I try to download my spotify playlists it just says connecting with the wifi then displays two different error codes, one as below and the other 0200.    I don't follow what is set out below re wifi security,   I am not an IT person and I am connecting to my wifi at home through a BT wifi so not sure how to remove the security - any assistance gratefully received.

• For me, the easiest way to do this is by setting up a wireless hotspot using my mobile phone. If you have an Android phone, try this:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Open "Wi-Fi & internet"
    3. Open "Hotspot & tethering"
    4. Open "Wi-Fi hotspot"
    5. Switch the hotspot "On"
    6. Give your hotspot a name; this is the network name (SSID) you'll be connecting to
    7. Set Security to "None"

Now your wireless hotspot is ready. To connect to that hotspot, choose that SSID you set in step #6. No password required. Once you've downloaded your playlist, don't forget to switch the hotspot "Off" on your mobile.

I'm not an iPhone user, but I would guess the process is somewhat similar...

I hope this helps.

• Hello, to solve the problem, all you should have to do is change the account password for your WiFi connection so that it contains just letters. It probably contains a few symbols as default and this causes issues with some devices like garmin watches. To change the password, you’ll have to connect to the router as the admin user. Do that by typing in the router ip address (which you’ll find on the rear of your router hub, usually 192.168.0.1) into your internet browser address bar and hit enter. You’ll then type in the admin password and name(also on the back of the router unless you have changed it, which if you haven’t, you should also change whilst you’re at this). Then navigate to the security setting and change the required passwords. ideally make a password by combining three random words in upper and lowercase  such as ‘GARDENwindowDOOR’. It’s surprisingly more secure than something like 54Gel7!@. Obviously when you change your hub password, You’ll have to then log everything connected to your hub wirelessly back in with the new password. 
    hope this helps. 
    Fergal. 

• For what it's worth, this doesn't work for me -- unfortunately...

• Thank you so much, unfortunately I am on an iPhone and i was able to get the garmin to connect to my personal hotspot but it still would not connect, suspect because it is secured and tried as I have I am unable to make it unsecured, it doesn't seem to be an option on my iPhone 8.   Thanks for trying to help me though.

• Thanks for all of that, I have at least now realised I can control my BT hub as per your instructions above.   My given p/w is simply random upper and lower case letters and numbers so no abnormal symbols for the garmin to grapple with.   I am uneasy about changing it to three words as you suggest as it says it is weak....   might try it just to see if it sorts problem out.   I definitely don't want to remove security altogether as suggested in other posts but appreciate that may fix it but not prepared to compromise my wifi security to use spotify on a watch!   Really appreciate your response though, such a shame as I had high hopes for being able to run wirelessly with spotify. 

• You could quickly test if Fergal's tip on using letters-only password would work for you. On your iPhone, setup a hotspot and set the password to something simple, like for instance "testingmydevice".

If that works, you might consider changing your router's password to some gibberish, e.g., "FkOWuvmXjWioijeklwJnJKY". I wouldn't recommend using any actual words (of any language) that can be found from dictionaries.

• Thanks so much, tried, also failed.   Think I'm going to give up for tonight at least.   Many thanks.

• Too bad we were not able to sort it out for you... Let's hope folks from Garmin would read this thread and fix this obvious defect in their SW...