This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

treadmill correction does not affect strava?

Does 245M Treadmill correction not affect Strava Linked Runs from Connect.  I corrected to 3.02M but on Strava it still showed up as 2.34???

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3759871440

https://www.strava.com/activities/2460284441

• Just an idea: It depend from which device you do the correction. 

If you do it within the App or Website, the data is already at the garmin servers and sent to strava already (adjustments won´t be updated)

If you adjust the distance on your watch, the data should be sent with the correction because saving the activity and sync is done after the correction. 

• If you're on an iPhone/iOS, you can use an app called RunGap. It will import your run from Garmin Connect. You can correct the distance and then export it pretty much anywhere.

• Thanks for the answers. This is a pain... I do like that Garmin gets corrected. But Strava is what really counts. I may try RunGap but lots of steps.

• Ideally, Strava would upload the in your file after your calibration, but we will not have any control over what Strava does in their processing. I have personally seen differences in my own data between Garmin Connect and Strava depending on what type of intervals I am running on the track because of Strava removing pace information when I'm not moving but the timer is still running. 

If you would like to reach out to Strava, they may be able to clarify what they are doing with your activities further. 

• Ideally as part of calibration on the Garmin, Garmin would write the data (including split data) into the file before saving. What happens now is that my Garmin may say I ran 5.5 miles when I've actually run 5 miles. Post calibration the total distance will show 5 miles but the splits will still add up to 5.5., even if there's only one split.

• Yeah I see that. But All in All it is better/closer than 235...

• This is not true. The issue is entirely on Garmin's side.

Using a Fenix 5x watch, and calibrating to 4.00 miles from the 3.62 it recorded as the treadmill distance, Strava does report the incorrect 3.62 distance.SO DO ALL OF GARMIN'S FILE EXPORT options (.tcx, .gpx).

Rather than recalibrate the run, Garmin is simply pasting over a new distance for display in the Connect portal. 

Can hardly blame Strava for having the wrong data when Garmin is supplying the uncalibrated distance.

• You are correct.  Garmin just updates the total distance at the end of the activity file.  It doesn't go back and adjust all the individual records.  You could argue for it to be either way.  The records retain the data at the time those records were recorded.

In general, Strava ignores the summary data, and just uses the individual records, recreating the summary.

Strava has all the info it needs to do exactly what you are asking Garmin to do, which is apply a multiplier to every data record based on (Summary Distance) / (sum of data records).  Strava is choosing to ignore the end of file summary data.

I'm not making a judgement as to which is correct, just that it isn't quite as cut and dry as you state.

• Garmin's not actually calibrating the run if the data isn't being adusted (aka calibrated). The feature would simply be "overwrite total distance".

Since Garmin does all this adustment for the display in Garmin Connect so that it can show accurate data, why have the downloadable files with inaccurate data?

• Hi!

Sync from Garmin to Endomondo synced correctly. I ran on a treadmill yesterday and calibrated afterwards. The run on Endomondo was the same as the calibrated result on Garmin Connect. The run on Strava had the uncalibrated result. So I presume that Strava also can solve this in the same way as Endomondo.