This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill Calibration Error - How to restore default?

I went for my first treadmill workout this morning and as per the manual, 

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner245/EN-US/GUID-86541696-B60E-44BC-9A46-4349C86A1CD8.html

it prompted me to calibrate the treadmill. I had run an interval session, and I made an error as I typed in the interval distance from the watch as opposed to the treadmill distance, which means my calibration is now way off.

How can I re-calibrate the treadmill without a factory reset? The manual says there is an option to manually calibrate after every run, but

a) that didn't come up

b) I'd prefer the default to be correct

I've selected "restore defaults" on the treadmill activity, so I am hoping that just re-setting that will trigger a re-calibration, but if it doesn't, am I literally going to be forced to factory reset the entire watch or are there other ways?

Thanks!

• If the 245 is like older watches (935, Fenix 5), you should be able scroll down to "Calibrate and Save" in the menu that appears when you pause an activity.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

, as  explained scroll through the possible menu actions after the workout...

calibration does not work on short workouts

calibration only recalculates the stored totals in the fit file after a workout

calibration does not set any parameters in your watch for next workouts

no calibration menu after scrolling and with a long enough workout....contact Garmin Support and tell them about your missing menu

also, when you are desperate enough...

• upload your zipped fit file here and ask for a repair
    • or change your distance via Garmin Connect

happy sporting

• Hi there, 

Have u fixed u problem? Currently I have similar issue. In my case I have the calibration option but the calibration never stay, mean I need to do the calibration after each run! and this is not the only issue, although connect profile shows the calibrated run but Garmin every time shares the non calibrated run with Strava?!!

• Hi,  I have the exact same  problem , don't know if perhaps is a watch  maintenance  issue, but calibration never stays...also noticed that running pace is way slowe than treadmil speed and this never happened before.

Hope there is a workaround for this.

• Call Garmin support and complain otherwise they will fix. I already did and they told me that if there aren’t enough people complaining they won’t even look at this issue, they will prioritize issues with hundreds of complaints 

• What you are saying is incorrect. Stop confusing people OnlyTwo. 

You are saying calibration does not save anything in the watch for the next workout. That’s BS. I had a 70$ Amazfit Bip before by new 350$ Garmin and the initial distance estimation of a TM run was incorrect, but after a first calibrating save, the distance, speed pace, etc. were all estimated perfectly correct

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to titust1

thx for your contribution Slight smile

happy & safe sporting

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to titust1

solved for 

After about 3 weeks of trying all kind of troubleshooting methods I managed to fix the calibration issue. Here is what I did.

In the past I have tried to reset the watch to factory defaults twice, but back then this didn’t fix the treadmill calibration issue. I have to admit that all my attempts to reset the watch were before, when the watch still had an older SW version.

Meanwhile I upgraded to the latest official SW version 3.10. But again this DID not fix my issue.

Then I tried things that other people advised me to do, like running with GPS, or adjusting the stride length manually (but apparently that is just for walking.

None of these methods worked. When I was about to put my watch on ebay, I said I will give it another try to do a last factory reset, and try the calibration once more.

After the factory reset I did not install any app or face from the IQ site, I didn’t change any settings in the watch, I left everything as the default

I ran then first time a 5k, and the watch recorded 7.6k (that was expected, because for the first time it never gets it right). The I calibrated and saved indicating that I ran 5k. At the next TM run, I ran also 5k, and amazingly the watch indicated this time the good distance, pace and speed. At the end of the race it showed 5.01k. This is very accurate.

So to wrap up, I don’t know why after my first resets the problem was not solved, but this time it was.

Another question that I have is why the watch ended up to behave like that with this calibration bug? Was this because of the few watch faces, apps, and widgets that I downloaded from the Connect IQ site? No idea.

In the end I will the watch. BTW Garmin support didn’t know how to fix the issue.

I hope this helps other people who have the same issue 

happy & safe sporting

• Hello OnlyTwo, Why do you reply to me with my own post