This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Would it be possible to use Garmin HRM sensors without a Garmin watch, using an app?

Hello dear community,

my wife runs and cycling (indoor and outdoor) a lot. So, I made her a gift – I both her a Garmin HRM Dual Heart Rate Sensor for three reasons:

1. To analyze a live heath rate using the app.

2. Observe and store a training activity after her training is complete.

3. See all activities in Garmin Connect

She uses a Garmin Edge 530 computer for cycling. The HRM sensor connects easily.

For running, it is not possible to use just her iPhone with the Garmin Connect app.  She also uses an Apple Watch, and she is not willing to use/buy a Garmin Smartwatch.  

For the first reason, I found a workaround – to use a free version of the Strava App, so she can see her actual heart rate. But the run activity cannot be automatically imported to Garmin Connect. 

There's another App that can do this  - Fitiv, but it only works with a Premium Membership, which costs around 60 Euro a year. 

I also tried to buy some expensive HRM Pro Plus Sensor, but the problem stayed the same: you can't use the HRM Sensor without a Smartwatch from Garmin.  

Do you maybe know some (free) solutions (apps, options) to receive and store data from HRM (Dual or Pro Plus) in Garmin Connect (on iPhone) without using Garmin Smartwatch and paying expensive memberships?  (also, without exporting and importing manually via. PC etc.)

Thank you in advance! 
Best regards,

Nik

• Hi Nik,

To my knowledge, it should be possible to pair the HRM Dual (or HRM Pro Plus) and the Apple Watch so that the watch uses the HRM strap to get heart rate when running. And both HRM Dual and HRM Pro Plus are able to be paired to both the Apple Watch and Garmin Edge simultaneously (they can even transmit HR to both devices at the same time).

(I cannot test this since I don't have Apple devices, but both HRM straps support simultaneous ANT+ and multiple Bluetooth connections.)

• But of course, you still wouldn't get the information to Garmin Connect, that requires a Garmin watch.

• you still wouldn't get the information to Garmin Connect, that requires a Garmin watch

Unless you export the activity data from Apple in a format that you can upload to Garmin Connect. 

• You can use the HealthFit app (as an example) to save an apple activity to iCloud then import it to Garmin Connect 

You may also be able to use RunGap to import your activity to RunGap form Apple Health the share to Garmin (or other platforms) but you likely need a subscription.

I use both these apps for a variety of reasons.

• In the past I have used the various apps to record activities when I didn't have my watch or I wanted to record data that my watch couldn't (power meter from a spin bike).

Wahoo Fitness (allows for many types of sensors , HR and Power etc) indoor or outdoor activities.

Strava (allows only HRM i think) can record indoor/outdoor type workouts of many varieties.

These sites/apps can then Export or Share the activity file ( .Fit ) to be imported into Garmin. very easy!