This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Dynamics pod to track steps while walking on standing desk treadmill

Hi all,

Is there a way to use the RD pod for tracking steps while walking on a treadmill?

I have a Forerunner 955 Solar, and like to spend a little time each day (20-30 minutes) walking on a treadmill standing desk. The watch only sporadically picks up a small percentage of steps (perhaps 10%?) because my wrists are on the desk / on my laptop as I'm working.

I tried putting on the RD pod today and starting a Treadmill Running activity. Over the 10 minutes it correctly registered around 90 steps per minute, or roughly 900 steps in total, but the watch only showed an increase of 80-90 total steps, indicating that it's not taking steps into account from the more-accurate pod.

Is there another way to do this? If I'm getting an extra 2k-3k steps in per day at a standing desk, I want them to register and count Slight smile

• There is no other way to do it, except perhaps putting the watch somewhere else, like for example your ankle or a pocket.

• I've done some more reading, and it seems like there are a few steps (pun!) people have taken to manage it:

1. Putting the watch on your ankle, like you mentioned. This seems to even keep tracking heart rate.
    2. Wearing an HRM Pro / Pro Plus. It's unclear to me if it can be connected to the watch, or needs to be disconnected so it stores the walk as an activity. Don't love this, as it's odd wearing a chest strap in the office.
    3. The discontinued Vivoki is apparently basically just a Vivofit activity tracker in a waist-pedometer form factor, and it seems some will wear one of those while walking on their treaddesk, as it then uploads steps to Garmin Connect.

The Vivoki has been discontinued, but I found a supposedly new-in-box unit for sale nearby and ordered it to try that out.

I also made a feature request to Garmin.

• Hey , do you have any update regarding the feature request to Garmin?

• I would be also interested in knowing the response. 

Have the same issue with working while walking on treadmill with hands still on my desk… 

Will try on Monday putting my watch on the ankle though…