This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Improved distance and pace using HRM-Pro Plus?

I've recently bought the new HRM-Pro Plus heart rate strap to use for football training and matches and have used it under several different activities but the distance and pace calculations are always miles under what they should be.

I have looked online and some people said to set it to an indoor run, which I did using indoor track, as well as trying cardio, and outdoor run. It has said that the distance has always been 100-250m, but realistically I am running at least 5 km.

Does anyone know how to improve the distance and pace calculation for the HRM-Pro Plus?

• Did you calibrate it doing at least 8 hours runs utside and some runs on treadmill?
    Second thing is that for sports like foodbal when you changing direction, speed and doing a lot unexpected moves you will never have accurate distance estimation from the strap, I think even fromt the watch distance calculated always will be not acurate just because GPS will never be so accurate.

• No didn't realise I have to calibrate it. Do I just go for runs so with the watch the get it to calibrate?

Yeah was worried that might be the case, but even if it gets a bit closer that'd be nice. I'll give the calibrations a go so and hopefully it will improve it.

Which activity should I set it to do you know?

• Hmmmm, maybe you will start from reading manual of the strap.
    I think it will help you understand how it works and give you some answers.

Regarding activity you should use, I would assume „treadmill run” might be best suited to you but to be honest I think you never will get accurate results just due to footbal characteristic.
    In my opinion best what you can have will be acurate heart rate recording and maybe steps count.

• Haha yeah, think that might be best alright. Read the quick start guide and seemed simple but didn't realise all of the calibration was needed.

Yeah sure I'll do the calibrations and have a mess around with the different activities and see what is most accurate.

HR and steps work perfect so that's good!

Thanks for your help Adam!

• Do you wear a watch along with the strap when playing football? I bought a HRM-PRO for use whilst playing football as I thought I could get away with just wearing the strap, this turned out not to be the case.

• I'm facing the same problem. I did serveral tests and distance and pace was only measured "correctly" if my watch was in range, out of range there were no data. Most likely you were in range with your watch for a short time of your training, so 100-250m were sent.

I feel really dissapointed because from software side it should not be a big deal to also store distance and pace and send it afterwards to the watch as they do it for the heart rate data and burned calories.

My workaround at the moment is to check the steps I did during the training from garmin connect and modify the distance in my activity afterwards. 

So I really hope Garmin will read this and bring an update with this functionality soon. I guess two man days of effort should be more than enough to implement this feature.

If somebody has a better solution I would be very interested.