This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RD pod works abnormally at the back waist

I've received an RD pod recently and done a few running activities with it. When I wear it at my back waist like the introduction says, it always gives me the the 'wrong' dynamic data, such as 0.35m of stride length, 290ms of the GCT, which are pretty far away from the data that my HRM-Run offered before. Especially the 0.35m of stride length, I don't think it is a reasonable running data.
But, when I try wearing it under my bellybutton, with the Garmin logo forward, totally the opposite side to the introduction, then it shows the 'normal' dynamic data, such as 1.05m of stride length, 220ms of GCT.
My watch is FR255. Has anybody ever met the similar issue? Or are there any posibilities that the sensor of pod might be installed at the opposite location?

• Just to check: have you put the sensor inside the green casing correctly, i.e. so that the running man icon is visible and in correct orientation?

• Yes, I know how to use it correctly. Also I will do more running activities to confirm the issue.

• There's been an issue recently with the RD pod not reporting correct stride length. It is not clear to me whether the issue was with the pod itself or with the watch firmware, as it was reported on forums for several different watch models. The issue wasn't 100% repeatable, meaning that for some runs it produced perfectly fine stride length, while for other runs it produced broken stride length. I experienced this phenomenon with the RD pod connect to my Fenix 6, but recently the issue seems to be gone.

So perhaps you were experiencing the same, and the positioning of the pod at a different location giving better results might just have been a coincidence. Just guessing.

• I think it is the watch software. With the Fenix 6 (Pro) on SW 23.00, stride length and Vertical Ratio were missing or incorrect. Two RD Pods yielded the same results, and both function perfectly fine with software 20.50.

I didn't try it myself, but I read that installing Garmin Lab's Combo Running Power datafield helps with this, so you may give that a try.

• Yes, it’s just a coincidence. The stride length turns totally erratic after I finished more running activities. Besides, the GCT is about 10-20ms higher than HRM-Run, which looks like another ‘correct’.

• It does not work with my FR255, and it will cause an infinity reboot issue on my 255 after I turn it off and on.

• Rebooting is not something I have seen. You may have to reset your watch as described here: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=wxPmdnWsev1xGRUf58oDC8 or contact Garmin Support, or both.

• I think I have the same problem since april 2022 after I changed the battery. I have Fenix 6x Solar with SW23.10; Before the RD Pod worked  nice since 3 years.  I tried 4 different batteries with the same problem. Is there a solution ?
    imgbly.com/.../EZInH29fJQ

• Can you say more about what the problem is? Maybe I don't see it, but in your image stride length is continuously recorded, and varying in some sections of your run. There are ~7 outlier values in 3 clusters, the last 2 look as if they are at the start or end of an interval. I agree it is not desirable but not battery dependent unless you have used a battery that is too thin such that it doesn't make good contact (in that case the track would probably look much worse though). I see these outliers sometimes too, after I have paused, significantly changed pace or turned around.

• Thanks for your interest
    Here is what I got (always) before I change the RD pod battery :
    imgbly.com/.../BG4iABrehi
    I tried 4 differents batteries buyed on Amazon and same results

In the first capture the stride length is "constant", I expect variations like the second one capture because in both cases the circuits are similar in open road.