This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hrm dual intermittent drops in heartrate

I’m using a HRM Dual with my FR245M.

since the first run with the HRM-Dual I’ve been experiencing intermittent drops in the heartrate readings. It’s as if the hrm misses a couple of beats every now and then.

I found and old thread from two years ago mentioning a bug in FW4.5 (or something like that). But the HRM is version 2.50, connected with ant+. The watch is on version 10.40. So i don’t think this issue is the same.

the strap is soaked before use, worn snuggly on the chest. I have changed the battery to a fresh one. But the issue persists. 

It doesnt matter if i go fast or slow, have a high pulse or a low… 

anyone else has this issue? Any suggestions on what i could do differently? Is it me or the HRM Dual thats doing someting wierd?

• I saw a collegue in our locker rooms the other day put some conductive gel on the electrodes. I asked him about it and he said because he was hairy and had dark skin, the wrist based sensor did not work well and the chest sensor needed the gel. Could this be your issue?

• Hi JonH, thank you for your reply.
    I have a light skin tone, and no chest hair.

I’ve seen conductive gel being suggested at various places around the web as a remedy to funky sensor readings. None of them have described their issues in a way that made me think that i have the same problem as them. but no, I have yet to try out conductive gel. 

I feel, well knowing how far that gets me, that conductive gel shouldnt be the first, second or even fifth thing to try on a consumer product to get it to work when its advertised as strap it on and it’ll just work out of the box. But once again… garmin probably wont loose sleep over my feelings.

• I have similar and believe it’s a physiological issue rather than anything else but can also be due to slight movements during the activity. The dropouts are small and have little overall impact on the results. It’s only a problem if the dropouts are really low and persist for extended periods of time.

But once again… garmin probably wont loose sleep over my feelings.

I disagree. Contact Garmin Support and see what they have to say.

• I have the same problem with all chest straps (HRM-Dual, HRM-Run and HRM-Pro) in combination with a FR 945. I personally do not believe it is a physiological issue because of the regularity of the dropouts, but who knows. I had allready contact to Garmin and they come to the conclusion, that I am the problem. According to them, I have hiccups, I snezze or I burp, which is absolutely not true.

• I too see similar with any chest strap I've used on any watch. So, it's either every strap that's wrong or something with my physiology. Since it's unlikely to be the fault of every strap or watch, that leaves me as the more likely source. 

• I tried tightening the strap even more. Not sure if it was the strap pressing over the lungs or the hotter and more humid conditions than i’m used to that made me feel a little wonky during the run. But the results looks promising. More testing is needed however.

• But that would mean you have probably heart problems or whatever. I do not believe in heart problems because of the intervalls are to regular and when running an adviced garmin training (training in specific heart zones), the alert popup  almost with the same heart beat depending on the level I am running.

• No luck. The problem persists..

• Are the runs with drop outs typically indoor?  If so could be the issue that is very common with 2.4ghz low channel # wifi interference.  I would have the issue at home or at gym on occasion...then it would go away.  returning weeks/months later.  Set my wifi from 'auto channel' to fixed at a higher number.  never have the issue.

I do notice dropouts still when on occasion when I drink from my water bottle or grab towel and wipe sweat.  I think without much extra fat/muscle around ribs/chest/back, unless I have strap very tight it can shift or slightly lift away from skin.  

If winter time I would also suspect static (if in the first half of activity only before sweaty)

• Thank you NickMN for your thoughts.. i do all of my running outdoors. I have the issues on every run with the HRM, up to a handfull of times with about 10 minutes between the drops. I mostly run between 40 to 60 minutes per session. But i have no doubt that should i run for three hours the drops would happen all through the session..

i don’t experiencing doing anything special when the drops happen, like wiping sweat from my forehead, wave my hand at the neighbours or fend of attacking crows or whatever…

i tried using the bluetooth connection rather than the Ant+, but saw the same issue. So i guess the problem is somewhere between my body and the HRM, rather than between the HRM-Dual and the watch..