This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM-PRO Autocalibration

I updated the HRM and there is an option for distances and tempos. I'm happy to change  my old Food sensor. But.

I want to switch the distance and pace to the "always" option, but the "autocalibration" option turns off

How to set the distance and pace manually

In food under was the rate, and what to do in HRM-PRO?

I do not understand this Garmin.

Top Replies

All Replies

• This is not the answer.

I read the article, but I don't understand. 

I'm supposed to jog to autocalibrate and then switch to "always". But what if the calibration is not accurate outside. How to make it more precise?

• I read the dc rainmaker article a few times and i can't say that it's entirely clear to me either.

• What is so hard to understand about it?

If you leave everything set to default, your HRM Pro will take data from your outdoor running activities (so having movement information by itself and getting GPS/distance information from watch) to calibrate your movement to the distance you make.

Same for indoor runs on a treadmill, only obviously there is no GPS information, so after the treadmill run the watch will ask you for the distance you made according to the treadmill. This information will be given to the HRM Pro and be used for calibration, together with the movement data from the same activity.

This is, what DC Rainmaker wrote and it sounds plausible to me.

Also I would see no reason to override that automatic process.

• Stop smarting.

The question is how do you calibrate the sensor?

There is no way for it to show the perfect distance. If you've used a footpod, you'd know what I'm talking about. 

It is possible to adjust to the nearest meter. 

The calibration process itself is not logical either. 

This is the second time you quote DC Rainmaker. He is a blogger. I ask on the Garmin forum how to calibrate the sensor. 

You are not bringing anything new. 

If I don't have a treadmill I can't calibrate the sensor? This is some kind of joke. 

Wait a day or two, what will be the problems with this if Garmin itself does not officially provide instructions.

• But you calibrate it for indoor treadmill running so you need a treadmill for that.

• While the explanation from DC Rainmaker looks clear to me, i definitely agree with you that something is missing from Garmin...in the manual, they speak about the pace/distance but nothing regarding the calibration and how it works(the amount of runs, the fact that you should do different types of runs, etc)...and is there any notification or something that is going to popup after there's enough data for the calibration? I guess not as i didn't see anything on DC Rainmaker's article.

I just updated mine...so didn't have any chance to run outside and test...maybe some infos are coming after the runs?

• This is a different device and process than you will have got used to with your foot pod. That requires a change in thinking. The sensor does not require a calibration factor.

You do not set the distance and pace manually unless you run on a treadmill. Then, following a run of a reasonable distance you will be asked to enter the distance you ran on the treadmill when you save the activity. That will calibrate the sensor for indoor use. For indoor use you use the Pace and Distance setting to Always. Bear in mind of course if you use different treadmills at different gyms then you can be sure that the treadmills will have different levels of accuracy. You might not always get accurate information from the treadmill.

If you are running outdoors you will not usually need to use pace and distance from the sensor as you will get that from GPS. However, there might be times when you lose GPS in which case the sensor can provide pace and distance. If you set Pace and Distance to Auto Calibrate, after running for ~2 hours the sensor will have enough data to be able to provide a reasonable estimate of pace and distance on those rare occasions when GPS is lost. The more you run outside the better the calibration. 

But what if the calibration is not accurate outside. How to make it more precise?

Run more often outside.

• I don't think I talk to runners.
    If e Saturday you do 10x1 km training it is very important whether you run 950 m or 1000. Whether the pace of the run is 3:15-3:10. These are huge differences. GPS does not work for such training. The choice is either a stadium run or a foodpod.
    What you write makes no sense.
    I counted on it working accurately. Because trusting the GPS doesn't make sense.
    Maybe in Fenix 7 with multi GPS it makes sense, but in my Fenix 6x pro this solution will be inaccurate.
    I would like to be wrong. If the error is +/-5-10 meters then he admits the ideal solution. If not then I have no way to correct it, and in foodpod it can be perfectly precise.
    Today I go to test.

• Ok, maybe we did not understand your usecase correctly, but your original posting did not describe it in all details.

Like you wrote yourself: If you need perfect accuracy, you need to run on calibrated tracks like stadiums. I see no other option to reach that level of distance accuracy. You write, the foot pod does it, I have no experience with it - but I doubt that it will be without error in any situation.

For GPS accuracy: Yes, it can be tricky and there are circumstances where it not good. But one example. On one of my „standard runs“, which is 10,3 km on a road through a forest, on dozens of runs I got results between 10,28 and 10,38 km with my Forerunner 245. Which means, we are talking about a maximum error of 1%. Indeed, on most runs, it was more like 0,5% variation.

For your 1000 meter interval that would mean we talk about 990-1010 meters. For my purpose it would be good enough for calibration.