This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 6S: connect to HRM automatically/best practices?

Hello everybody,

bought my very first Garmin device, a Fenix 6s pro. Used to run with an iphone coupled to a Polar HR7 HRM and some Huawei AM61 bluetooth headset. After initial pairing with the iphone I did not have to do anything else: I just wore my HRM before a run and powered on my headset. Both were automatically connected.

I've now connected these two devices to my Fenix. But I do have a number of newbie questions.

1) After pairing my Polar HR7 HRM with the  watch, do I have to enable it each time before going for a run, or is it automatically connected?

2) I wore the HRM for a bit. After removing it from my chest (which effectively shuts the polar down) my watch was searching for it. And after some time I saw that the sensor status switched to disabled. Does this mean that I will have to enable it manually each time I go for a run?

3) Finally, this is a question regarding the headset itself. After pairing, when powering up the headset it seems it is not automatically connected to Fenix. Is this normal behaviour? Can I somehow make it auto-connect?

Thanks for your time for any info provided!

• EDIT: Questions 1 and 2 above are effectively the same, apologies... I think I can answer (1) as follows:

1) After pairing my Polar HR7 HRM with the  watch, do I have to enable it each time before going for a run, or is it automatically connected?

According to the Fenix 6 Pro manual (I have the 6S pro model, assume it is the same), connection is automatically made after initial pairing:

Pairing Your Wireless Sensors
    The first time you connect a wireless sensor to your device using ANT+ or Bluetooth technology, you must pair the device and sensor. After they are paired, the device connects to the sensor automatically when you start an activity and the sensor is active and within range.

• Strike that out. It does not seem to connect automatically to my Polar HRM :(

Going to  menu-> sensors the belt is there however it shows up as disabled. Shouldn't it be in a "enabled" or "searching" state?

• Connection to both should be automatic. For the headphones (I use a pair of aftershokz) - when I turn mine on they always default to connecting to my phone first. I disconnect from the phone (using the phone not the headphones) then press bottom left button on the watch to connect to headphones. Works every time for me. 

For the HRM, when you press the middle left button and cycle to sensors, when you highlight your HRM it should show as searching. If not you'll need to enable it. 

A question, when you disconnected the HRM the first time round did you finish your activity on the watch first? (That might be the reason it is searching for it). 

Normal behaviour for Garmin watches is that a HRM will auto connect once worn but the HR on the watch will continue to operate until you start an activity at which time the watch will prioritise the connected chest strap. 

• Once you have paired you HRM, the watch will automatically connect to the HRM once the HRM has started broadcasting and you start your run activity from the watch.  I will typically strap on the HRM prior to starting my activity from the watch just to give the strap time to wake up and start broadcasting.  

• Connection to both should be automatic. For the headphones (I use a pair of aftershokz) - when I turn mine on they always default to connecting to my phone first. I disconnect from the phone (using the phone not the headphones) then press bottom left button on the watch to connect to headphones. Works every time for me. 

I presume that you mean you start the music widget manually? Yes it seems to connect automatically at that point, thanks! And thank you for the HRM-over-builtin explanation.

Once you have paired you HRM, the watch will automatically connect to the HRM once the HRM has started broadcasting and you start your run activity from the watch.  I will typically strap on the HRM prior to starting my activity from the watch just to give the strap time to wake up and start broadcasting.

I'm doing the same thing. Trouble is I want to make sure it's the HRM that is used during my run, otherwise...

For the HRM, when you press the middle left button and cycle to sensors, when you highlight your HRM it should show as searching. If not you'll need to enable it. 

... I'll have to make sure I enable it manually before running as @JB204 said.

• Easy way to see if the watch is using your chest strap is to lift your watch slightly after you've started the activity. If the watch HR is not firing you know it is using the strap. Although mine has never failed me I always just double check when I start an activity!

• For the HRM, when you press the middle left button and cycle to sensors, when you highlight your HRM it should show as searching. If not you'll need to enable it. 

... I'll have to make sure I enable it manually before running as @JB204 said.

I have two different Garmin HRMs (HRM-Pro & HRM-Dual) that I use.  Both of those HRMs have been paired with my f6 and both of them have the Status setting set to Enabled.  I then never touch the settings again.  The watch will automatically connect to the HRM that is broadcasting (HRM wakes up once on your chest) once I start my Run activity (GPS button=>RUN).  While you are waiting for the watch to pick up the GPS signal, there will be a text indication (at the top of the watch face) that the watch has connected to the HRM and the heart icon at the top of the watch face will show solid (not flashing).  You will also hear a beep if you have already connected to you ear buds.  @JB204 is also correct that you can verify by looking at the wrist monitor LEDs.  Sometimes when the weather is cold, the HRM will take a bit to pick up the heart beat.  Wetting the pads helps.

• Awesome, did not think of that!

• While you are waiting for the watch to pick up the GPS signal, there will be a text indication (at the top of the watch face) that the watch has connected to the HRM and the heart icon at the top of the watch face will show solid (not flashing). 

... and that's what solved my which-HR-is-used also :) Noticed that today with my first HRM-enabled run. Perfect!

Thank you both for your time to help a newbie here. Much appreciated :)