This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin HRM Dual firmware version 2.50

Since there is no dedicated forum for accessories, I thought it would make sense to post it in a few places.

Today I've got a prompt to upgrade my HRM Dual to version 2.50(previously I had 2.30). So I did that, my Vivoactive 4 is working perfectly with it via ANT+ but all Bluetooth based programs on my mobile, which I've tested e.g. Elite HRV, Wahoo, HRV4 Training, HRV Logger no longer working. Apparently Garmin changed the format they output data or something as now instead of Serial I see 2.50 which is the version of firmware.

I think that the apps developers will need to fix it now, so maybe give it a time before doing the upgrade.

Hey , I guess this may be not your department but are there a way to find out what changes were made in the new firmware to HRM Dual today?

SOLUTION: If you  have a problem with non-working bluetooth apps on your phone after the update, check bluetooth settings on your phone and see if you have paired HRM Dual, if so just try to remove(forget) it from paired devices, this step fixed the issues with apps for me.

• Thanks, Jim, I had no idea this forum exists, and my quick search gave me no results.

•  I was also very confused/suprised by a HRM-Dual firmware upgrade that was prompted at the end of an activity save/exit.  Mine failed the first time around 6%...  eventually said disconnected/failed.  Had to completely remove sensor from my watch (still was working with phone via bluetooth if tested on strava).  Re-added sensor and it worked again.  Wasn't a way to manually start the update.  But then again today it prompted after my run.  Update worked and it restarted.  

Tested the new firmware with a quick connection test on watch (fr945) and also quickly was recognized by Strava App on phone.

I wonder what the update was for, strap has been released for some time, no notes on DC Rainmaker's site either.  

• Hey thanks for telling about your experience, and yes I'm surprised why everyone is silent about this new update, maybe it's rolled out gradually and only a few got it so far?

• According to the change log in Garmin Express [for my Edge 1030 Plus to update the HRM-Dual] the changes in 2.50 are:

• BLE tx power adjustment
    • BLE general improvements
  • Looks as though the update goes to all Garmin devices via Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express that have an HRM-Dual paired to them by ANT+. There appears to be no way to update the HRM-Dual firmware if the connection is by Bluetooth. If the HRM-Dual is only used with a non-Garmin device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) then it will not see the update.

I was prompted to update my HRM-Dual when it connected to my Edge 1030 Plus by ANT+. When connected. by Bluetooth I could find no way to apply the update.

• I'm not getting the update on my hrm dual connected to my va3 over ant+. Still at 2.3. Can the 2.5 firmware .gcd file be manually downloaded from somewhere? If I can get the firmware file I want to try uploading it to the remotesw folder on the watch to see if that starts the upgrade. 

• If you connect the watch to a computer running Garmin Express, is the firmware update for the HRM-Dual listed there as an available update for the watch?

• I tried Garmin Express and with the va3 connected the firmware doesn't show as an available update. Va3 running the latest 7.8 firmware and garmin express is up to date.

• Based on my experience with the Edge 1030 Plus the HRM-Dual needs to be connected by ANT+. With a Bluetooth connection there was no option to update the firmware.

The firmware update may already have been sent to the watch. What files are in the REMOTESW folder? (On my Edge 1030 Plus the file named 006B329903.GCD in the REMOTESW folder is the HRM_Dual firmware update.)